Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Are rabid dogs curable or do they need to be put down to protect others? What about rabid people? Can they be reclaimed or not? How?

Are rabid dogs curable or do they need to be put down to protect others? What about rabid people? Can they be reclaimed or not? How?

Posted - February 17, 2017

Responses

• I don' t think they can be reclaimed, lol believe me I've tried to save many of the poor unfortuates but they are unable to listen and learn...there is much crossover with the category of ignorant.. many rabid people are also ignorant people and vice versa, many rabid people are also ignorant...
      February 17, 2017 7:14 AM MST

Sadly true. I wish I knew how to fix THEM DdbTD. I'm pretty sure you do too. But I don't. SIGH. Thank you for your reply! :)
      February 17, 2017 10:10 AM MST

Rabies is virtually incurable. Once symptoms are present they is generally no stopping the virus. 

However there have been a total of 5 humans who have survived. 
      February 17, 2017 7:31 AM MST

Thank you for your informative answer m2c. Did they figure out WHY? :)
      February 17, 2017 10:10 AM MST

Because it goes to the brain and causes swelling. Damaging vital parts needed to live. 
    The few who have survived were put in a coma so the parts of brain would not be in  use during the swelling. One had to relearn how to walk and main any balance.
      February 17, 2017 12:15 PM MST

• Considered 100% fatal in humans but a handful have survived as said above by my2cents. There are shots to stop the onset if bitten by a rabid animal.  The dog always dies also and they usually like to let them die naturally then they examine the brain to be sure it was rabies.  But sometimes there is no choice but to kill it.
      February 17, 2017 8:16 AM MST

I wonder if medical professionals work on cures for animal diseases? I'm gonna ask that question Swoop. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday! :)
      February 17, 2017 10:12 AM MST

• The only hope is a round of vaccination to try and induce an antibody response before the actual virus takes hold.  Within a few days of possible contact. Once symptoms start it's too late.
    There is a novel treatment of putting a person into a comma while the body fights the infection to prevent the brain being damaged by the virus but it's only been done a few times.

That's why it is said that if you wake to a bat in your house you should immediately begin rabies injections.
    You can get yourself vaccinated by a doctor against rabies but for some reason they really don't like doing it unless you have a profession or hobby that brings you into probable contact.  I've gotten one a few times before trapping season.
      February 17, 2017 10:01 AM MST

Sounds scary as he**! Why don't "they" find a cure for rabies?  Gonna ask a question about that. Thank you for your thoughtful and helpful reply Glis! :)
      February 17, 2017 10:13 AM MST

• Been working on  it for a long time .  It's just so virulent and it buries itself in the brain.   The proteins it produces are what does the real damage. Deal is that even if you ride the brain of the virus and the proteins the damage it has done to the brain cannot be reversed.  So even if you cured the virus the worst symptoms would remain.
    Researchers though have made some recent discoveries that are close to some sort of cure.  The coma treatment being one.   They found that they can prevent a lot of the brain damage the virus causes if the person is in a comma. The body will rid itself of the virus if the brain damage can be halted or mitigated.

It is in reality one of the most terrifying diseases commonly out there. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 17, 2017 10:22 AM MST
      February 17, 2017 10:21 AM MST