Discussion » Questions » Diet and Fitness » To what extent are computers and the internet interfering with our fitness?

To what extent are computers and the internet interfering with our fitness?

How does the on-line habit affect you personally? What about the community as a whole?

Posted - February 26, 2017

Responses

• I feel it today! Been sitting too much and after doing yard work all week-end? I'm tired. So Yes, it's affecting me. Need to do more work! Thanks for reminding me.
      February 26, 2017 5:24 PM MST

• There are lots of Jiminy Crickets on aMug. I'm just one of them. :)
      February 26, 2017 7:43 PM MST

• Fitness is for chumps.
      February 26, 2017 7:25 PM MST

• Garn, you're just hoping I'll bite. Sorry, Whistle, I'm too darned sleepy today. :)
      February 26, 2017 7:43 PM MST

• When you are rested I hope you'll return.  First why should one strive to conform to some social norm of body size and shape?  Moreover
    'fitness" involves exercise, a form of insanity.  One goes to a gym and lifts heavy things then sets them down.  This is repeated till one hurts everywhere.  This is done for no compensation.  Would you give your employer that much effort for free?  Or one runs on a treadmill.  Running and running and running, going nowhere.  Isn't that what life is already?  To make this insanity even more insane one PAYS the gym to have such privileges!  People who work out endlessly complain about how sore they are. How much pain they are in.  Yet they continue on this course of action.  What could be a more sure sign of psychological dysfunction?
      February 26, 2017 8:08 PM MST

• I gotta agree that gyms are a form of insanity -- conforming because everybody else does it. But I took my exercise outdoors. Costs nothing more than a pair of running shoes, or a bike, or a pool entrance fee. It's one of my regrets that I can no longer keep fit. 
      February 26, 2017 8:13 PM MST

I deliberately try not to be online for long durations, I know it can have long time affects...addiction to internet is like any other addiction, one has to wean out of this habit or else it will have serious consequences on health. How about the community? Well, we no longer seem to have time to mingle, even in malls, people of all age groups seem obsessed with their phones and texting....!
      February 26, 2017 8:14 PM MST

• That addiction is very real, Veena. Sometimes it's hard to break away.
      February 26, 2017 8:40 PM MST

probably when people are sitting around instead of exercising
      February 26, 2017 8:35 PM MST

• Dead right, Pearl. 
      February 26, 2017 8:40 PM MST