Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Nowadays do you see your TV more as a monitor for displaying whatever media is plugged/streamed into it than a broadcasting receiver device?

Nowadays do you see your TV more as a monitor for displaying whatever media is plugged/streamed into it than a broadcasting receiver device?

The way our ancestors must have thought of it.

Posted - February 27, 2017

Responses

Hi O-Uknow ~ Between the programming and the broadcasting it's a wonder any of us should watch TV.  I find it full of nothing.  Some of the news really doesn't feel like non-prejudice news.  It seems all the new programs are either about how to cheat on your friends and/or spouse or how to violently break the law.  Then there are the good guy shows who have a handsome man and beautiful women team set in nice weather.  There is Ancient Aliens, National Geographic, Science channel, and a few others we enjoy.  But, as far as actually getting the news and having great musicals, comedy and entertainment, TV has really spiraled down to watching the Kardasians streaming their own lives.  And people are watching it. Blah!
      February 27, 2017 9:17 PM MST

I hear good TV is to be had only if you pay for it. Game of Thrones, House of Cards etc.. but really the question is not a comment on broadcasted shows but in changes in how we view technology. This post was edited by O-uknow at February 27, 2017 9:25 PM MST
      February 27, 2017 9:23 PM MST

• My ancestors had never heard of TV. I was 20 before it was introduced to Australia. 

But to answer your question, we mostly play DVDs. When we do watch a broadcast we record it and fast forward the bits we don't want (mostly adverts) 
      February 27, 2017 9:27 PM MST

There you have it. A monitor.
      February 27, 2017 9:44 PM MST

No. My TV is a computer. A supposed "smart TV". It's purpose is to stream content. Although it can receive "free" "digital TV" through the air.
      February 27, 2017 10:00 PM MST