Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Why do your eyes get puffy when you cry too much?

Why do your eyes get puffy when you cry too much?

I've been crying like crazy and my eyes just look and feel gross now. Why do they puff up like that? I also have a wicked headache and sore throat. Is that why they say laughter is like medicine? Because crying just makes you feel sick?

Posted - March 3, 2017

Responses

• Normal eye secretions have a higher salinity than the tears you produce when crying.   So your eyes higher slat content than the tears causes them to absorb the water in your tears when you cry.
      March 3, 2017 11:03 AM MST

I have sinuses that don't properly drain, so when I cry, I often look like I have two black eyes.  The tear ducts can get very swollen.  Cold compresses over the eyes help.

I also get a lot of sore throats with the post nasal crap which get worse with crying spells.

This post was edited by PeaPod is just popping by at March 3, 2017 2:16 PM MST
      March 3, 2017 11:18 AM MST

Awwww don't cry.  (((((HUGS)))))
      March 3, 2017 11:18 AM MST

• Try using a cold damp washcloth to your eyes, it will make them feel better. If you have any natural tears or visine eye drops use those if your eyes feel dry.
      March 3, 2017 2:14 PM MST

• I think.... that there is a psychological reason why your eyes get puffy too... not just the physical salt etc... I think we are *meant* to show physical signs when we have been crying.. I know sometimes we don't WANT to show we have been crying but in terms of emotional wellbeing and emotional health.. it's arguably a GOOD thing when people notice.. we are social beings, we are supposed to share and care and take comfort from each other.. In our society we are often taught to be tough, not to be a cry baby, not to show emotion.. but actually I don't believe that is either natural or healthy.. my honest belief is that humans were designed to get these horrid puffy eyes so that we can talk, receive comfort, and to have opportunity to externalise our hurt and pain.. 

So like it or not, I think.... we are meant to look like we have been crying when we have ... I hope that whatever caused you to cry gets resolved, I hope YOU get a huge hug and comfort from someone who cares about you x
      March 3, 2017 3:13 PM MST