Active Now

Element 99
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Would you have a tattoo of a Chinese/Japanese character?

Would you have a tattoo of a Chinese/Japanese character?

How far would you trust the tattooist not to play a mean joke on you and give you an obscene word or a hidden meaning?

Posted - March 5, 2017

Responses

• Dear Dozy,
    Oh I thought you had such a wonderful idea, I was going to go to the tattoo parlor and ask for OM MANI PADME HUM, and in Sanskrit too, which translates as, "The Jewel In The Lotus."

But then, look!
    Somebody already did that...

March 5, 2017 10:29 PM MST

• I can think of worse messages to try to get across. That's great, Virginia. And, although you probably knew, Lynne's name (or Lin) in Mandarin, means "Lotus". She actually had a chop made many years ago.

Along the same lines as your Om mani padme hum, one of the ladies on Ask (I forget who) used to end her posts with Namaste (which translates something like, "The divine spark in me greets the divine spark in you." 
      March 5, 2017 10:36 PM MST

• My mom speaks fluent Japanese so I'd take her along to make sure it was done right :)

I would absolutely consider getting something in Japanese tattooed, since I identify strongly with that part of my heritage. 
      March 5, 2017 10:45 PM MST

• I once asked a workmate what the Kanji symbol tattooed on his hand meant and without hestitation he said, "Will you buy me a beer." So I did. He said he got a lot of free beers from that tattoo. 
      March 5, 2017 11:16 PM MST

Hi Didge~  That is funny!  I'd buy him a beer just for being that smart to have it :) :)
      March 5, 2017 11:48 PM MST

Hi Didge~ First, before I would get anything tattooed on my body, I would have the tattoo artist checked out and call all his references.  I would make sure his/her licence was up to date and look at their work.
     But still, even after all that, since I don't speak the language, I would be highly hesitant to get inked on good faith. I would like to add, I think some of the writing is beautiful and an art form within itself.  It just wouldn't be my style to have a foreign something I didn't know walking around with me on my body.

March 5, 2017 11:47 PM MST

• There are times it must be an embarrassment. :)
      March 6, 2017 1:19 AM MST

Hi Didge~  A lot of it too is like real estate.  The tattoo is occupying a certain part of your body sooooo, Location, Location, Location.  Your guy with the beer tatt is a perfect example!  Even in the English language mistakes can happen.  Have you seen the movie "We're the Millers?"  I think you and Mrs. D might like it.  Give it a try if you have an afternoon off sometime. :) :)
      March 6, 2017 9:07 AM MST

• No, I haven't seen it, Merlin. What was the mistake? 
      March 6, 2017 11:44 AM MST

I don't like tattoos, so would never have one. If people want them, it's their choice, but it's not for me. I have often wondered about this. There seems to be an awful lot of people having tattoos of oriental characters, and I do wonder if they say what they think they say, and how much it means to them, anyway. I think a lot of them only get them because everyone else has.
      March 6, 2017 3:50 AM MST

• I'm sure there's an element of follow-the-leader in any fad but oriental characters can be very attractive. The meaning, of course, may be something else. 
      March 6, 2017 11:46 AM MST

• Nope, and here's why: 
      March 6, 2017 4:30 AM MST

• Yeah, you're right. I'd forgotten that character could also refer to a personality. 
      March 6, 2017 11:48 AM MST

I have no interest in getting a tattoo of any kind, but if I did, one of my nephews is a tattoo artist and I would trust that he would do right by me.
      March 6, 2017 8:42 AM MST

• You'd be safe with him, Spunky.
      March 6, 2017 11:48 AM MST

I would and he does gorgeous work.
      March 6, 2017 2:48 PM MST

no, i hate needles
      March 6, 2017 9:44 AM MST

• I know exactly what you mean. There are lots of us who don't like them too much. 
      March 6, 2017 11:49 AM MST

I get to pick the character though....

March 6, 2017 2:54 PM MST