Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » What is the difference between an ICBM rocket, and the rockets used to launch satellites?

What is the difference between an ICBM rocket, and the rockets used to launch satellites?

I thought about this with the recent news about North Korea's latest missile test.
Didn't we used to use the same rockets for both?  Do we still?

I mean, it seems to me it's kind of hypocritical for the world to get angry at North Korea for testing their missiles ... if everybody else does it by calling it a "satellite launch" or "ISS supply run".

Posted - March 6, 2017

Responses

Hello Walt:

In the context of the last few days, I'd AGREE with you.  We have rockets, so we shouldn't get mad at other nations with rockets... 

But, in the larger context, we're STILL at war with North Korea.  A peace treaty has NEVER been signed.  Plus, we THINK, that if and when they develop a rocket that can reach the US, they'll USE it.  

So, for MY part, since I live in the CLOSEST American city to North Korea, I'd just as soon my country STOP them using ANY means possible..

excon

PS>  (edited)  Of course, I mean MAINLAND city.. 
    This post was edited by excon at March 6, 2017 3:17 PM MST
      March 6, 2017 8:58 AM MST

I'm of the mindset ... if it's good for the goose, it's good for the gander.

OR ... The right of self protection applies as much to nations as to individuals.

But my main point is ... aren't they the same rockets?
    Would it be OK if North Korea "ended" their ICBM program, and started launching satellites or tried to sent someone to the moon instead?

(and why can we build a "missile shield" to protect Western Europe, and Israel ... but not ourselves?!?)
      March 6, 2017 1:21 PM MST

Perhaps this will shed some light on the situation:

Last year, North Korea fired a long-range rocket from Tongchang-ri that put an object into orbit. The launch was condemned by the United Nations for violating resolutions that ban the use of missile technology.

North Korea test fired a new type of missile, known as the Pukguksong-2, into the sea early last month, and has said it will continue to launch new strategic weapons.

"Not only Pukguksong-2 but newer independent strategic weapons will fly high vigorously in the sky off the ground as long as the United States and the puppet regime are going ahead with their nuclear threat to us and an exercise for invasion war against the North," North Korea's Rodong Sinmun newspaper, the mouthpiece of the ruling Workers' Party said in a commentary last week.
      March 6, 2017 11:57 AM MST

So the UN thinks it's bad for NK to use "missile tech" to launch satellites ... but it's totally okay with everybody else doing it.  lol
      March 6, 2017 1:22 PM MST

Difference: A missile is a device propelled toward a specific object or place, thus striking it. A rocket is a device used to propel the missile. Satellites are not missiles.
      March 6, 2017 1:31 PM MST

Satellites vs Warheads are the "payloads"

The question is, are the rockets still the same or not?
    Prior to the Space Shuttle, we used the same rockets to lift satellites into space as we used for ICBMs.  Because they were proven reliable.
    From what I've heard elsewhere, the same "ICBM" rockets may still be in use to life private and other nations' payloads into orbit.
      March 6, 2017 3:10 PM MST

Exactly, I just said it with fewer words.
      March 7, 2017 7:07 AM MST