Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Do you know what to do if you get attacked by a dog?

Do you know what to do if you get attacked by a dog?

I have been attacked by two dogs. Only one bit me on the leg. I was going to an art lesson, and my teacher's pet nipped me on the leg. I was wearing jeans, so his teeth didn't break the skin and I was ok. It scared my more though. Thankfully, my teacher came out of her house quickly and retrieved her dog into the house. The dog was a small dog, thank goodness. 

Posted - March 9, 2017

Responses

• I think screaming helps ..
     well, it makes me feel better ..
     and burnt ochre in the eye never fails...
      March 9, 2017 4:40 PM MST

• Stand your ground, as in don't run.
    Carry a tennis ball at all times, or a rubber T-Bone
    Pet deterrent spray, sold in pet stores, or online
    Look for nearest tree

March 9, 2017 4:51 PM MST

I wish you were there when I was bitten;))
      March 9, 2017 4:55 PM MST

• Veena, being the gent I am, I would have extended my hand to pull you up into the tree :) 

Of course, I would hate to see anyone bitten .. :(
      March 9, 2017 4:57 PM MST

Oh, thank U;))
      March 9, 2017 5:03 PM MST

No, but I was bitten too.I was 8 years old and my younger brother 6 years old, This happened in India, a female dog ( I refuse to use the easy word) was feeding its litter of puppies, me and my brother has gone to a near by shop and were returning home, my brother threw a stone on it playfully and the dog rushed at us, we fled,but it caught  me and bit my knee, I had to take a series of injections, daily my Dad had to go and see if this dog was alive ( I forgot why he was told that). But it was a street dog, stray dogs are common there.
      March 9, 2017 5:02 PM MST

• I just talk to them. Usually works. I've been bitten a couple of times.

Here's a true story, even if it doesn't sound like it. 

The first time I ever visited Mrs Didge at her home, one Saturday afternoon, her sister answered the door. I was kind of stuttering and stammering, for I hadn't been invited, and their dog saw me and attacked. I didn't know it was savage so I dropped down on all fours and barked at it. The dog skidded to a stop and just looked at me. We were friends forever after. 

But.. that was in 1958 and the sister STILL thinks I'm insane.
      March 9, 2017 6:15 PM MST

New approach...all fours!

Thanks for the mental image, Didge!

March 9, 2017 7:24 PM MST

LOLOLOL
      March 9, 2017 7:41 PM MST

Ha ha ha;))
      March 9, 2017 8:41 PM MST

• Preferable to spraying it with chemicals, I like this approach. 
    I've had dogs for over 10 years now, been surrounded by a hundred more, and have never felt threatened by any one of them. I do genuinely think that a person can make a dog very defensive, very quickly if they don't approach it in the right way. And yes, the owner needs to take the majority of the responisibility for a dog who feels sufficiently threatened to bite anyone.
      March 10, 2017 3:29 AM MST

If a dog begins to act aggressively keep your face towards them.  If you have a paint box/bookbag/purse, keep it between them and you.  Do not scream...high pitched noises can cause an attack, showing fear makes you a target.  Don't run, prey instinct takes over and they will chase and they will attack.

I've yelled at them, roared like a tiger with hands up like a monster (making myself big) and run right at them.  So far I've never been bitten.

March 9, 2017 7:22 PM MST