Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Are we SO complacent with Trump's LIES, that we don't even notice them any more??? Well, I notice ALL of 'em.

Are we SO complacent with Trump's LIES, that we don't even notice them any more??? Well, I notice ALL of 'em.

Hello:

Just last night Trump tweeted that it's a CRIME if a journalist publishes his stolen tax returns..  WRONG!! LIE!! PREVARICATION!! 

In that same tweet, he also said the returns were FAKE NEWS..  LIE!!!  LIE!!  LIE!! 

excon

Posted - March 15, 2017

Responses

Good morning excon.  

I don't think we are complacent.  At least, I'm not.  The problem for me is that they are coming so fast and furious, I can't keep up with them anymore.   I just find I am at a complete loss for words most of the time now.  

I feel as if I am caught in a Twilight Zone episode.  :-(

This post was edited by Harry at March 15, 2017 3:40 PM MDT
      March 15, 2017 9:37 AM MDT

• You have SO just said exactly what I feel!! Bloody good for you..at least someone's prepared not to sit on their backside and pretend it's not happening! It IS..

And as a somewhat outside observer, I truly don't get why people there seem to be ok with it!!  I just don't.. it's like a kind of madness has descended where even those who see it are somehow afraid or unwilling to voice it..

On here when some of us try to highlight it we are attacked and told basically to shut up.. we are shouted down, with claims that we post too much... that we are obsessed.. 

Nope, I am not obsessed.. I am just truly baffled as to why so many people seem to be ignoring and overlooking so much!!
      March 15, 2017 9:41 AM MDT

It is illegal to publish an person tax returns without permission.

Federal law makes it illegal to publish an unauthorized tax return or "return information":

It shall be unlawful for any person to whom any return or return information (as defined in section 6103(b)) is disclosed in a manner unauthorized by this title thereafter willfully to print or publish in any manner not provided by law any such return or return information. Any violation of this paragraph shall be a felony punishable by a fine in any amount not exceeding $5,000, or imprisonment of not more than 5 years, or both, together with the costs of prosecution.

March 15, 2017 10:29 AM MDT

Interesting---I never had a reason to know that, so I didn't.
      March 15, 2017 10:50 AM MDT

With (at least - don't know if there are more) this exception:

"It is illegal for the Internal Revenue Service to disclose a taxpayer's returns, but the First Amendment protects journalists who disclose tax information they obtain from an outside source."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/03/14/trump-tax-returns-show-president-paid-38-million-2005-white-house-says/99192100/

I think what is problematic at this point in time is who actually released them.   

March 15, 2017 11:14 AM MDT

What's interesting is that the documents were stamped 'client copy' and the WH had no issue with verifying that they were correct. They contained no damaging information about the source of the income and showed Trump earning income and paying taxes. There is some speculation that this is another deflection initiated by Trump.

Also, no one was prosecuted for publishing his 1998 return, so a precedent has been established.
      March 15, 2017 1:38 PM MDT

I am sure the statue of limitations is not up.  And not charging someone for a crime is not a precedent. If I were Trump I would file charges against both of them.
      March 15, 2017 2:36 PM MDT

He may well just do that.  From what I've read, he is the most litigious President we have ever had.  Frankly, if he doesn't sue, for me, that would pretty much guarantee that he directed someone to release it.  Either way, whether it was by his direction or someone looking to create problems for him, I find the whole thing troubling.

This post was edited by Harry at March 15, 2017 4:19 PM MDT
      March 15, 2017 3:40 PM MDT

He starts a lot of lawsuits, but most get dropped. there are only a small number he follows through on.
      March 16, 2017 5:33 AM MDT

True. 
      March 16, 2017 5:55 AM MDT

Trump doesn't seem to notice them.

March 15, 2017 11:00 AM MDT

LOL.
      March 15, 2017 11:20 AM MDT

• Conclusive proof, as if more were needed. the man's a liar and a hypocrite.. I just don't get it
      March 15, 2017 4:16 PM MDT

Hello my:

I agree with you.  There's the discloser, and that's the person who DISCLOSED them..  Then there's the press, who have the freedom to REPORT the news.

If I'm wrong, I expect Rachael to be arrested before tonight's broadcast..  What??  We let people get away with FELONIES???

excon
      March 15, 2017 11:50 AM MDT

No. The law specifically says "any person"....."to print or publish in any manner". This would include a member of the press printing or publishing without permission. Press are persons. I would file charges if I were Trump and let people all scream---fascism all they want.
      March 15, 2017 2:33 PM MDT

Whether it is legal or not, it is my understanding that in the USA, presidents normally release their tax returns, and Trump has refused to.
      March 16, 2017 5:43 AM MDT

Technically, Presidents don't have to.  Trump is the first since Gerald Ford.

Not sure if you're interested but this link include the history (scroll down a bit to get to the history)

https://www.efile.com/1040-federal-income-tax-forms-for-every-tax-year-and-tax-return-history/

March 16, 2017 6:02 AM MDT