Discussion » Questions » Celebrities » Ruth Bader Ginsberg just apologized for her "ill-advised" comments vis a vis Donald J. Trump. She can't take back what she said though. Think she should have stifled it?

Ruth Bader Ginsberg just apologized for her "ill-advised" comments vis a vis Donald J. Trump. She can't take back what she said though. Think she should have stifled it?

Posted - July 14, 2016

Responses

I am not a Trump fan but I think it is irresponsible for ANY judge to make such statements. They should maintain their neutrality and not make public opinions about their political and personal beliefs. I remember years ago when an Army General made remarks about President Clinton and was immediately told to resign.

July 14, 2016 8:21 AM MDT

Hello Rosie:

In ORDINARY times, decorum has its place..  But, 17 Republican candidates used proper decorum during the debates, and now, they're road kill..  Now, is the time for TRUTH, not political correctness.   I LOVE Notorious RBG.

excon

PS>  Do I sound like Trump?

July 14, 2016 8:28 AM MDT

Oy...of course we love her. Shalom.

July 14, 2016 8:33 AM MDT

• I wonder how many german judges spoke out about Hitler during the 30s ....
      July 14, 2016 8:51 AM MDT

What did she say?
    Link or?
      July 14, 2016 9:00 AM MDT

Anytime a sitting judge makeing political comments show clearly they cannot be impartial. No judge is truly impartial but should not be making political statements anymore than a military person should.

A judges political statements could be argued as justification for a new trial.

July 14, 2016 9:45 AM MDT

I'm really torn on this Ele. Do justices give up their right to free speech simply because of their position? Are they no longer allowed to speak out and tell us what they think? I dunno. I'm on the fence here.  Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday . If Trump is prez do you really think he will not say what HE thinks? What then? It's a mess. L(

July 15, 2016 2:35 AM MDT

I LOVE the notorious RBG too. I'm torn though. Why should anyone have to give up the right to tell us what he/she thinks simply because of position or title?  On the other hand justices are SUPPOSED to be impartial. Of course we know that is bullsh**! We ALWAYS KNOW was a Clarence Thomas thinks. We ALWAYS KNEW what a Justice Alito thought. No one said diddly about that.  Wonder why? Thank you for your reply excon and Happy Friday. Do you sound like Trump? PUHLEEZ  . He should be so lucky to be as smart as you! He should be so lucky! :(

July 15, 2016 2:38 AM MDT

Probably none if they wanted to stay alive ozgirl. I don't know for sure. Maybe there were some brave ones. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday. I wonder too.

July 15, 2016 2:39 AM MDT

I Googled it Baba. Here goes. "He is a faker. He has no consistency about him. He says whatever comes into his head at the moment. How has he gotten away with not turning over his tax returns? The press seems to be very gentle with him on that."

July 15, 2016 2:44 AM MDT

Supreme Court justices are expected to maintain "the appearance" of neutrality. It was ill-advised though the notion that thes men and women don't have strong ideological /political beliefs is a fairytale;she broke a convention of Americans

July 15, 2016 3:42 AM MDT

I'm torn on this one. Why does having a particular position mean one abrogates the right to free speech? On the other hand there ARE certain positions that carry additional responsibility with them, among which are members of SCOTUS and definitely the POTUS.  It's complicated. Thank you for your reply bd and Happy Friday to thee! :)

July 15, 2016 4:24 AM MDT

• Ginsberg's entire career has been ill advised. The sooner she packs her bags for New Zealand, the sooner we can fill her vacancy. Hopefully with someone who has some legal experience.

July 16, 2016 1:16 PM MDT