Active Now

Shuhak
Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » I need computer assistance!????

I need computer assistance!????

HELP! I seem to have shot myself in the PC foot. I unforunately got the "Zeus detected on your computer by Win Defender..call 1-800 gullible,,so i had to shut down
I than ran CCleaner,followed by adware cleaner
Than I did a really stupid thing,I deleted all restore points and created a new one
Adware cleaner deleted search folder and a registry key..
NOW indexing is gone,and searches are futile. I can't modify index location and have tried restarting VSS indexing manually and with trouble shooter,no dice
The c drive is there,and I can access it,but not search .
I am at my wits end ,I restored computer,no help...Can YOU help?
I am not a geek or wonk,command lines give me fits,and going into the registry..scary.
So if possible,make it simple

Posted - March 29, 2017

Responses

Can you rephrase what part you're at now? Will the PC not boot at all? What happens when you try? I'm not a computer guru, so it's tough for me to tell what you're looking at based on the details you've provided. Normally, you can get into the main settings and tell it to go back to the factory settings- that's in the advanced boot menu that you can get to before Windows loads... I've seen F1 and F2 used as the key to gain entry to that- yours might be something different. If you can dumb this down a little for me and be very specific about what you see on the screen and what menus you can access, hopefully one of us can give you a few ideas to try.
      March 29, 2017 10:17 PM MDT

I can boot,fine,but the indexing feature on win 7(54 bit) cannot be turned on,either from the Services>indexing or Services>windows search. Now Firefox won't load...and when I bo0oed up today, Avast antivirus had been switched off,somethings going on!
      March 31, 2017 4:15 AM MDT

Every program you use has a tools menu. If you use tools a lot it will be a toolbar across the top of the screen. If you rarely use tools it might be hidden. In Windows you can click "Start" and select "Control Panel" and that gives you a menu of menus to control everything the computer does. You can right click anything and most of the time get a menu for that specific item. For example if you right click the desktop you have the option to rotate the monitor image in some graphic cards. That allows you to have an image that is high instead of wide, by turning your monitor. You don't need to memorize all these things, just be aware that they are in there. Then you can claim to know how to operate a computer at the beginner level.

You can search the internet for "windows tips" or similar words to find technical info of a relatively simple nature. One site I found that way is How-To Geek - For Geeks, By Geeks.
      March 29, 2017 10:24 PM MDT

I'm running windows 7,64 bit...I have tried starting Windows search from the Control panel,it starts than fails .
    I've run sfc/scannow in command prompt,and have been hitting forums like crazy. There is no included locations in indexing,nor can I add one..How To Geek gave me the scannow
      March 30, 2017 12:23 AM MDT

I have never tried to use Windows search, so I can't offer any more advice.
      March 30, 2017 1:34 PM MDT

I have no idea what any of you are talking about...I would just take mine to the Geek Squad at best buy.
      March 30, 2017 7:08 AM MDT

Indexing is the Windows feature that allows you to find things,videos,pics,movies,etc
      March 31, 2017 4:09 AM MDT

• Reinstall W7, should be able to repair over the existing installation.
      March 30, 2017 2:34 PM MDT