Active Now

Shuhak
Thebigd
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Is A Comedic Genius Often Unhappy, And If So Why?

Is A Comedic Genius Often Unhappy, And If So Why?

I just read about Paul Lynde…I never realized, but he died 1982 at age 55, from a massive heart attack damaged by alcoholism and cigarettes, and substance abuse, tragically unhappy. I loved him so much, he was imo a world class comedian, peer with Robin Williams.

And then you think about the great ones of the 20th century – Robin Williams, Bill Cosby, Richard Pryor his free-basing blew up, George Carlin maybe not as desolate…but still, what is going on? Is it the unhappy pressure of celebrity, or is there something so ironic about giving happiness to so many while the genius himself/herself is in such despair?

Posted - April 6, 2017

Responses

• I remember and many others and have often wondered the same thing. Wish I could really answer your question as it's a great one but I have no idea what goes on in the hearts and minds of some of the great comedians but it sure seems like they burn out too quickly. It has to do with the pressure of always having to appear funny. Great question and I sure hope someone has a better idea than I do.
      April 6, 2017 6:28 AM MDT

• Thank you Rooster, the tragic burn-out...I just thought of it when I learned about Paul Lynde. Someone has placed two hours of his 'zingers' onto YouTube, and I was going through them, enjoying them SO much all over again...and then read about his death, the sadness of his life!
    And then I thought of the other great comedians...
      April 6, 2017 7:26 AM MDT

• The short answer is yes.   Most comedians in general are depressed, self-loathing, and misanthropic.   A lot of them talk about that in interviews.  It's kind of the mother of comedy.

About Richard Pryor blowing himself up freebasing:
    He later in life said he made that part up and it was actually a suicide attempt but said it was a freebasing accident to hide the fact.
      April 6, 2017 6:33 AM MDT

• Oh...my heart just sank to read of his suicide attempt, I had not known that Glis.
    Strange concept, for the 'mother of comedy'...ty I had not even realized that...such a huge price to pay.

*Edit, additional thoughts...Glis, the suicide attempt...that is not even a comfortable way to die! Horribly painful...you have to wonder... This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 6, 2017 9:02 AM MDT
      April 6, 2017 7:29 AM MDT

• My guess would be that it's constantly thinking about all the angles of things that often comes from depression highlighting the absurd nature of things.  Combine that with humor being a coping mechanism and just not caring enough to shun dark thoughts.
      April 6, 2017 9:06 AM MDT

• Glis...just so you know...this comment is something I am adding to my ASK file, for further contemplation.
    (Just let me know if you object, please.)
    I do feel you may have touched something here, the counterpoint of humour, a coping mechanism while depression highlights the absurdities, which I am pondering as possibly seeing deeply (TOO deeply) into life in its horrors, its tragedies...and cannot cope.

Again, Richard Pryor not only trying to suicide, but choosing an extremely painful route...horrific.
      April 6, 2017 9:12 PM MDT

• Many of us, in all sorts of careers and lives, are unhappy.  We tend to know about celebrities because their lives are published perhaps with some exaggeration, it sells.   And fun facts!  Food service workers have the highest rates of drug and alcohol use and the second highest rate of occupational related depression.  Keep this in mind when eating out.
      April 6, 2017 7:53 AM MDT

• Hi Whistle6...thinking about the food service workers?
    I have not worked there, but I wonder...I think of that work almost like slavery, low wages, very little independence or opportunity for creativity...?
    Again, lots of jobs are like that now, and maybe more and more too, but I still wish more statistics would include such factors.
      April 6, 2017 8:54 AM MDT

• For me the worst part of food service is being so ill treated by surly, ignorant, rude customers.  May Hell get them all.
      April 6, 2017 7:29 PM MDT

• Whistle6, you no doubt have heard this I first came upon it ~1980; my wish for you, my prayer even, if you do not mind...
    ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM
      April 6, 2017 9:15 PM MDT

• Had to Google that... ha! That's good.
      April 7, 2017 8:48 AM MDT

• I don't know who that is, but I do know people who feel an inordinate amount of pressure to "perform". Their job, their personal life, et al. To the point they are constantly running things through their brain, and stressing out about things. My usual tell is that they have trouble sleeping. In many instances I've found them to delve into some kind of unhealthy activity, including drugs, alcohol, food, etc. to--possibly--curb all those mulling thoughts.

April 6, 2017 8:15 AM MDT

• Very true!
      April 6, 2017 8:16 AM MDT

• Seems to me an excellent point, TammyV2.0...a kind of unhealthy self-medication.
      April 6, 2017 8:56 AM MDT

• Have you ever had the pleasure of seeing the one man play, Scaramouch Jones?
    English actor, famous in a lot of films, two his on stage by himself in a monologue.
    He's a circus clown who just finishes his act, returns to his dressing room and talks to himself, abs us, as he removes guys make up.
    He tells his life story... So poinangt or how ever is spelled lol...
     Best two hours of my life, ever
      April 6, 2017 2:49 PM MDT

• I have not seen that play, Ozgirl...but from your description, sounds like I would want to.
    Do you know if it is available somewhere on the Internet?
      April 6, 2017 8:50 PM MDT

• You're in part luck.. The actor was peter Postlethwaite BTW... Who I adore as an actor... Abs there is a few minutes clip on you tube...
      April 6, 2017 10:30 PM MDT

• Got it ty Ozgirl!
      April 7, 2017 6:06 AM MDT

maybe he wasnt as happy as much as people thought
      April 6, 2017 4:45 PM MDT

• Dear Pearl, it does seem that you are correct; I certainly had no idea.
      April 6, 2017 9:19 PM MDT

• Might comedy be an intellectual mechanism to cope with emotional turmoil? Something like the mind providing an outlet where the heart cannot? 
    I wonder. 
    Ozgirl mentions Scaramouche Jones. I remember seeing a BBC teleplay many, many years ago, a monologue really, wherein a ventriloquist, in his home resolves his painful issues with his dummy. Dark comedy, it sure was, if comedy it could at all be called.
      April 7, 2017 4:15 AM MDT

• Your thought is one insight I am taking from these answers, WT, thank you, and long time glad to see you!
      April 7, 2017 6:09 AM MDT

Best humor is both a little bit wrong and a little bit right.Our caveman ancestors lived in a world rife with physical threats. There was relief in discovering that a rustling in the darkness was a mouse rather than a saber-toothed tiger.Before people could speak, laughter served as a signaling function.Jokes ease tension; they help us deal with life’s injustices, both minor and large.

The comedian Stephen Fry publicly discussed his bipolar disorder and suicide attempt. In describing his quiz show, QI, Fry has said, “There are times when I’m doing QI and I’m going ‘ha ha, yeah, yeah,’ and inside I’m going ‘I want to fucking die. I ... want ... to ... fucking ... die’”.

A lot of miserable guys do pretty amazing stand-up. I think one needs to be clever to see the things that are wrong in the world and to make them okay.

A beautiful question dear Virginia and equally good responses. I felt I too must respond.with whatever input I could give.
      April 15, 2017 11:18 PM MDT