Active Now

Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Subliminal advertising is supposedly illegal. Why aren't purposely addictive apps illegal too? What's the difference?

Subliminal advertising is supposedly illegal. Why aren't purposely addictive apps illegal too? What's the difference?

Posted - April 11, 2017

Responses

They are no different. They are created for stupid people who deserve to succumb to the ads and apps.
      April 11, 2017 6:16 AM MDT

It's not their fault though Ele. Did you see "60 Minutes" Sunday night? These guys KNOW how the brain works and what words to use in apps to ADDICT humans to them. Subliminal advertising flashed on the screen too quickly for the conscious mind to be aware of it but the subconscious was affected/influenced by it. I don't see how intellect has anything to do with it. I wonder though if those who are easily hypnotized would be more apt to succumb to it? Don't know if you are old enough to remember this but when the movie "Lawrence of Arabia" was shown there were subliminal ads incorporated therein such that at intermission people felt an overwhelming thirst and bought lots of drinks. The subliminal ad told them how very thirsty they were and that was all it took. Don't know how it was discovered but it was outlawed I think. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at April 11, 2017 6:53 AM MDT
      April 11, 2017 6:52 AM MDT