Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » What is the purpose of being educated? To earn more money just because you have a degree? Ever meet an educated someone who was dumb? When?

What is the purpose of being educated? To earn more money just because you have a degree? Ever meet an educated someone who was dumb? When?

Posted - April 11, 2017

Responses

Most of my education I got in the Navy and raising two kids. I got my degree so I could do what I loved. If I was interested in money I would have gotten a different degree. In some ways I am quite dumb...but mainly about things I have no interest in.
      April 11, 2017 11:04 AM MDT

That isn't being dumb sweetie. That is being "ignorant" which can be cured with the acquisition of information/ knowledge if you have the interest. Dumb is incurable! Well here's why I asked the question.  I had a short-term boss who had a Master's Degree in Finance allegedly from Harvard. I was hired to do the in-house accounting. Within the first three days I knew he was dumb as a brick wall when it came to accounting. The following may mean nothing to you unless you know about how balance sheets work. He wanted me to debit a liability thinking that would increase it. He even wrote down the entry he wanted me to make. I said nothing. I didn't do it of course and gave notice that day to the President's secretary showing her the entry and explaining to her what it meant.!  She didn't accept it and whisked me out to lunch for a Margarita and some good food. She told me they were well aware of his lack of knowledge and were in the process of finding a replacement. She asked me to please hang in which I did. That was the best financial decision I ever made! They paid me very well. Generous raises and bonuses. I worked there about 7 years! So for some reason I thought about him and wondered if others had any similar experiences. I think he lied on his resume. Someone who has a Master's Degree in Finance from bo-dunk college let alone Harvard ought to know how basic accounting works. He didn't!  I learn about things that interest me. There is only so much time available and from now on I just wanna have fun! Thank you for your reply Ele. Apologies for the long-winded reply! Happy Thursday! :)
      April 13, 2017 6:15 AM MDT

• 'Nuff said

April 11, 2017 11:19 AM MDT

I can't think of an example that would be perfecter than this one JG! Seriously! The picture is very flattering. He looks like that doofus "Who Me?" guy on the cover of MAD MAGAZINE. Handsome dude! Funny! At first I wrote "handsome dud "! Maybe I should have left it at that! Thank you for your reply and the photo! :)
      April 13, 2017 6:18 AM MDT

• I know people are sick of seeing his stupid face but I couldn't think of anything more appropriate in response to your question than this.
      April 13, 2017 9:32 AM MDT

We are tired of seeing his stupid face but there is no better answer than what you gave in my opinion. Sometimes we gotta bite the bullet JG! Thank you for your comment! :)
      April 13, 2017 9:59 AM MDT

Education (knowledge, more precisely I suppose) is to the mind what water is to thirst.

Both necessary on the one hand, and absolutely wonderful if you are very thirsty.
      April 11, 2017 11:45 AM MDT

Having a degree implies you are knowledgeable. Isn't it possible to get a degree and be considered "educated" and still be unable to have cogent/coherent thoughts and engage in conversation that is logical and intellgible? I'm just wondering how much trust and faith we can put into having a degree. Thank you for your reply tom and Happy Thursday to thee! :)
      April 13, 2017 6:21 AM MDT

• I know lots and lots of dumb people who classify as educated.   Degrees mean little these days in terms of being intelligent.
      April 11, 2017 12:08 PM MDT

I think intelligence may mean different things to different people Bunny. If someone can engage in a thoughtful, informed, insightful and logical conversation that's good enough for me. Sometimes I'm not sure of the point someone is making so I ask for clarification. That explanation should also be thoughtful, informed and easy to comprehend. Never condescending. That turns me off very quickly! Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! :)
      April 13, 2017 6:25 AM MDT

There is a correlation between levels of education and the IQ's of those who achieve them.

PhD's are around 137-140.

IQ's are measurable.

Dumb is a judgment call---and is often accurate.
      April 11, 2017 12:25 PM MDT

My son has a  Ph.d and I learned his IQ when he was 8 years old and he was put into an after-school computer programming class. He is now 51. Of course those computer programming classes were different then than they would be now. What's so cool is that he is a College Professor whose field is two-fold. Information and Computer Sciences and Library and Information Science. I wonder if all those many years ago it was a portent of the future?  Thank you for your reply tom! :)
      April 13, 2017 6:31 AM MDT

Most educations have a purpose and that is precisely the problem here.
    when we meet people with lots of education and PHDs we tend to assume that "Such a smart guy must be very wise", and that is not at all true. In fact we frequently meet people with lots of education who are 'holes in the ground' wisdom wise. Schools would love to turn out more 'rounded' personalities, but societal demands and industry clamoring for "competent employees" often result in very narrow and purpose driven education.
      April 11, 2017 3:18 PM MDT

I totally agree with you JakobA. Is there ever room for the arts?  Music, literature, architecture, the dance, poetry?  I think being educated means you should be well-rounded  and be exposed to many things, not all of which should have to do with earning a living. Being knowledgeable about the past. I think there is a certain graciousness and good manners that should come with being educated as well. I guess the word means different things to different people. Thank you for your thoughtful reply!  There will be nothing in the Trump budget for the arts. Which means Public Television and classes in school and Little Theaters will be abandoned as being wasteful. Sadly. :(
      April 13, 2017 6:37 AM MDT

April 11, 2017 6:20 PM MDT

Thank you for the link FNR and Happy Thursday! :) SIGH. :(
      April 13, 2017 6:38 AM MDT

• For me, it wasn't at all about earning more money. It's about pursuing my dream (of being a professor) and knowledge for knowledge's sake. I have a Master's because I wanted to go in depth in the subject that I'm passionate about (linguistics). I couldn't imagine not doing so, regardless of how much money I'll potentially make. 
      April 13, 2017 10:03 AM MDT