Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Shuhak
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Internet Pacifism Training; Do You Have A Story? …In Light of the UA Incident...

Internet Pacifism Training; Do You Have A Story? …In Light of the UA Incident...

...was there a time you stood your ground peacefully against injustice?

Here is mine most recent: Last January, a snowstorm shut down highways, trains, planes, buses in Portland, OR. The motel where I was staying became aggressive toward guests, at least one eviction.

After some thought, what I did was go to the main desk, and in a clear voice in front of guests and registrants I asked, “Why are you treating old people like this?”

I went on like that for a while, playing the age card, as I am 72. I pretended I was upset, and that the stress was affecting me…not true, I was acting, simply standing up for all of us.

Then I sat there, refusing to move (claiming I needed to rest) until finally someone came over with very courteous demeanor. Once motel staff became polite, I did also.

Posted - April 11, 2017

Responses

• Hi Virginia... This is an answer to a previous question you raised, and my response, on Albert Camus... If you remember I compared him to Monty python... But at the same time said I was crawling out on a limb, saw in hand just in case I was off the mark.
    Having done some reading since then I'm just about to use said saw on this branch.

I'm just get you to move a bit of you don't mind... I'm right above you :)
      April 11, 2017 5:36 PM MDT

• Ozgirl, if you are inclined, will you 'chew that a little finer'...?

When younger, I avoided Monty Python, I did not understand it and too violent anyway. What you showed me recently was something of an aha, now I get it, and it is marvelous.

But still, I don't think I am fully understanding your allegory, here...
      April 11, 2017 8:27 PM MDT

• Me on the branch?
    I'm going out on a limb to suggest that MP may be an example of absurdism... Risky... Having done some (very light) reading on Camus, i I'm now cutting that branch I'm sitting on off, me included!
    I still think it may have its roots in Camus, but I certainly don't know enough to say it has.
      April 11, 2017 8:35 PM MDT

• Ozgirl now I got it, and yes I love it too.
    I hesitate to try to interpret Camus, but your limb-sawing may also have something to do with how he perceives freedom... This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 11, 2017 9:05 PM MDT
      April 11, 2017 8:50 PM MDT

• I tend to talk in allusions sometimes.. Forgive me.. I just find it makes a conversation more interesting when you have to think... Either that or I'm just a dork... Which seems more than likely
      April 11, 2017 8:54 PM MDT

• Ozgirl, I just added something to the previous comment, maybe I will repeat it here because I think your limb-sawing allusion may relate to how Camus would see freedom...
      April 11, 2017 9:06 PM MDT