Active Now

Pet Eater
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Can you learn how to be anything you want to be? How about kind, caring, thoughtful? How do you teach them or are they innate?

Can you learn how to be anything you want to be? How about kind, caring, thoughtful? How do you teach them or are they innate?

Posted - April 13, 2017

Responses

Accept Jesus. Something new yet old.
      April 13, 2017 8:56 AM MDT

That would not work for Atheists O. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      April 15, 2017 5:44 AM MDT

From what I've read Rosie, there has been billions spent on this type of research, yet although they believe that genes do affect our behaviour and so making some behaviours inherent, there is actually no evidence to support this. 
    Evidence does point to the fact that outside influences affect our behaviour. As children we internalise other peoples behaviour (monkey see monkey do). However, my sister and I were brought up with the same parents, and yet we behave differently to certain situations.  I believe you can change and learn different behaviours, but only once you find out what your core behaviour is, and why it is like that. You might not be able to change you immediate response, or emotion, but you can change what you do with it.  I think those that parent themselves well, will forward the same to others. 
      April 14, 2017 4:49 AM MDT

Thank you for a very thoughtful, helpful and informative reply Pepper!  You seem quite knowledgeable about this subject. This is a small personal thing but I've always been VERY impatient. It is not an asset. I am completely aware of it and THINK I'm trying to do better but when I get in the throes of something off I go same MO and only after the fact do I realize I blew it again! I can't remember a time when I was otherwise. Is that something one can change? How? It works against me! AARRGGHH! Happy Friday to thee PepperP! :)
      April 14, 2017 4:58 AM MDT

Lol! I don't think you can change your initial feeling, because emotions are reactive. You can however, become aware of yourself by viewing the situation from a third party perspective and give yourself time before responding, make yourself a cup of tea, go for a walk.  We are all a work in progress, and we will never be perfect. Happy Easter Rosie :)
      April 14, 2017 5:05 AM MDT

You mean try counting to ten? I shall try to remember that m'dear. Thank you for the kind counsel. Are you a patient person? Thank you for the Happy Easter and I wish the same for you and yours too! :)
      April 14, 2017 5:16 AM MDT