Active Now

Pet Eater
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Why hide anything in which you take pride? A gloater/boaster/conceitedly self-involved arrogant pompous egomaniac would flaunt it. Right?

Why hide anything in which you take pride? A gloater/boaster/conceitedly self-involved arrogant pompous egomaniac would flaunt it. Right?

Posted - April 16, 2017

Responses

Possibly.

But a person who understands what humility truly is would not hide his light under a bushel basket.

Gifts given are to be used.

Pride may be a cardinal sin, but being appropriately pround is not.
      April 16, 2017 10:14 AM MDT

I disagree with thee tom.  Pride in self/personal accomplishment is not a trait I admire. Modesty is what appeals to me. Being humble. I am proud of my son but all his accomplishments are his and his alone. I had nothing to do with what he has done with his life. That is the only "pride" I feel. He turned out very well. For that I am exceeding grateful. I have always been that way. If I did well in school or on the job or whatever I was happy that people were pleased but that's as far as it went. I didn't think I was "hot stuff" or special or better than others.  Just my opinion of course. Thank you for your reply! :)

This post was edited by RosieG at April 19, 2017 4:24 AM MDT
      April 19, 2017 4:23 AM MDT

I love it when someone uses "thee"---seriously.

Pride---a feeling or deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, the achievements of those with whom one is closely associated, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired.

Do you not think your son's pride is an appropriate response to what he has accomplished?

False pride is the problem, not legitimate pride.

Be proud of your gifts; humble about your limitations.  Otherwise, "you offer to the God of all truth the unclean sacrifice of a lie." (CS Lewis)

April 19, 2017 11:36 AM MDT

Let me tell you about my son m'dear. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I have no idea WHY you think he takes pride in what he has accomplished.  He doesn't think getting a Ph,d is a big deal. He asks those who take his class to call him by his first name. He doesn't cotton to being treated with "deference". He is a "genius" but in talking to him you would never feel condescended to or treated as "less than". I stand by my answer tom. It is what it is and I am what I am. My kid apparently inherited those genes. I think that is very fortunate. He is always kind/considerate to others. Pride. False Pride. "Pride goeth before a fall". Now they never tell you which kind of pride that is. But I see no difference between the two. You do and that's totally fine. Thank you for your reply! :)
      April 19, 2017 12:09 PM MDT