Discussion » Questions » Electronics » why is my airconditioning making this beeping noise every minute or so all day long?

why is my airconditioning making this beeping noise every minute or so all day long?

i know its that cause it started when i turned it on today, been doing it all day and its annoying, its never done it before and yes, ive changed the batteries on the remote so why is it still doing it and how do i stop it? i'll probably shut it off soon when i go to sleep, dont feel like listening to it all night

Posted - July 15, 2016

Responses

ooh boy, Pearl.  That sounds like something is being overheated or overworked.  It doesn't sound safe to me.  

July 15, 2016 9:54 PM MDT

thats a good point, maybe i shouldnt use it till i find out whats going on and just open windows instead

July 15, 2016 10:08 PM MDT

• It's probably a filter needs cleaning or similar warning ... RTFM ... Read the effing manual :)

July 15, 2016 10:08 PM MDT

Without getting too technical, the way air conditioning works is a substance called a refrigerant circulates in the system in either a liquid or gaseous state under varying pressure. There are pressure transducers in the system which detect if the refrigerant pressure gets too high or too low and shuts the system off if an incorrect pressure occurs.

I suspect for some reason the unit is generating too high or too low pressure, and the "beep" noise is the audible warning that a pressure transducer had detected an incorrect pressure. You are unlikely to damage the unit or endanger yourself by continuing to operate it, but eliminating the "beep" noise might require a service call.

Good luck.

July 15, 2016 11:45 PM MDT

• If it has a removable filter,it may need cleaning..

July 16, 2016 2:49 AM MDT

i think it might be my smoke alarm or carbon monoxide alarm, maintenance is going to come look at it, i think the batteries might need changing

July 16, 2016 12:07 PM MDT

That seems more likely than the A/C unit beeping. It's funny how our brains can make associations between things that are, in fact, unconnected (e.g. the beeping noise and the A/C unit).

July 16, 2016 12:14 PM MDT

• Hit it with a hammer until it stops. :0)
      July 16, 2016 12:20 PM MDT

cant reach it to do that, maintenance, it was the carbon monoxide detector going off, needed new batteries

July 16, 2016 2:59 PM MDT

If it's central air conditioning check the batteries in the thermostat.  If it's a window unit check to see if the filter is dirty or on schedule to be cleaned as well as check batteries in the remote (if it has one).  Those are my only suggestions other than calling your landlord.

July 16, 2016 9:09 PM MDT

Oh, glad you figured it out.  I have one that plugs in so no batteries which is great.

July 16, 2016 9:10 PM MDT

@pearl -- I'm glad you found the solution (and a cheap one at that). Stay safe and stay cool.

July 16, 2016 9:14 PM MDT