Active Now

Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » SCOTLAND YARD is in London. Why isn't it "England Yard" or "London Yard"?

SCOTLAND YARD is in London. Why isn't it "England Yard" or "London Yard"?

Posted - April 18, 2017

Responses

http://www.historyhouse.co.uk/articles/scotland_yard.html

The name Scotland Yard comes from its very earliest days, soon after the establishment of the police force in London in 1829. The first Metropolitan Police station was opened on 6 October 1829 in a street called Great Scotland Yard and was at the rear of 4 Whitehall Place which served as the office of the two newly appointed police commissioners.

The origin of the name Scotland Yard (both Great and Little) is unknown, but may be named after a former landowner or a connection with the Kings of Scotland. The name was in use by the 17th century. 

This post was edited by Harry at April 19, 2017 3:44 AM MDT
      April 18, 2017 7:40 AM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful and informative answer as well as the link Harry and Happy Wednesday to thee!  :)
      April 19, 2017 3:45 AM MDT

• I'm not even going to Google this, but I'll make my own speculation...

The Brits are a race of posh trolls who excel in driving people nuts by doing things that seem reasonable but when you dig deeper, you don't uncover the truth, just more questions
      April 18, 2017 10:14 AM MDT

Perhaps that's precisely why I am an Anglophile JG. The more you dig the more complicated things get! Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :)
      April 19, 2017 3:47 AM MDT

• I can appreciate that. They are an enigmatic culture readily willing to stand in queue for the thrill of it
      April 19, 2017 9:30 AM MDT

April 18, 2017 7:38 PM MDT

Thank you for the link and Happy Wednesday Thriftymaid! :)
      April 19, 2017 3:56 AM MDT

I don't know the reason, but as King James 6th. of Scotland became James 1st. of England, and created the United Kingdom, I am not surprised that there are places named Scotland in our nations capital. It is disingenuous of the Scots to come out with the statements the nationalists make, given that their king created the union, and the fact that there are a large number of Scottish MPs in Westminster, who can vote on Parliamentary matters that only affect England. The latter is known as the West Lothian question, after Tam Dalyell, the former Labour MP for West Lothian, who asked a number of questions on the issue.
      April 19, 2017 9:06 AM MDT