Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » TERRIBLE! Parenting/Presidenting. You don't have a clue how to do either one You learn while doing. Any fix for that?

TERRIBLE! Parenting/Presidenting. You don't have a clue how to do either one You learn while doing. Any fix for that?

Why not require a degree in "Presidenting" or "Parenting" IN ADVANCE of the doing? Why not prepare people for those very hard jobs by letting them apprentice first and learn a few things. If they pass they go on to graduate school and then get a Ph.D. If they fail they never have kids or run for prez. Doesn't that make more sense then what we have now?

Posted - April 20, 2017

Responses

Johnny Carson commented many years ago in a Playboy interview that there "is no school for Presidents."  He's right.  That's why an informed electorate is essential, critical, and the sine qua non of a lasting democracy.

My priority would be to educate voters.  That would redound to both good presidents and good parents.

Democracy, old age, and parenting are not for sissies.
      April 20, 2017 10:32 AM MDT

Who does the educating? Right-wing zealots? Left-wing zealots? Everyone has a point of view I think. Don't you? If there were a STANDARD curriculum approved by both major parties and people had to study and learn and work hard and pass tests at least the candidates would be educated/knowledgeable which is more than I can say about the pathetic folks we vote for these days. Thank you for your reply tom. You can't educate diehards . I have no idea how many citizens are uneducatable. Do you? :)
      April 20, 2017 10:55 AM MDT

As you suggest, how are standards established?  I don't know.

And as long as people think that truth is relative rather than realize that it actually exists and is the proper object of study, it would appear that we just have to hope we all lean in the right direction and don't tip the boat over.
      April 20, 2017 11:05 AM MDT

Fingers crossed. Thank you for your reply tom! :)
      April 20, 2017 12:12 PM MDT