Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » What's the best way to get probiotics while taking a course of antibiotics?

What's the best way to get probiotics while taking a course of antibiotics?

Posted - May 2, 2017

Responses

• Best to ask a physician.  Some medicines interact badly with certain foods.
      May 2, 2017 9:33 PM MDT

Well, I'll tell you what doesn't work (for me). Spending $30 on "the best" oral probiotic, with billions of flora or whatever, stupidly thinking that buying "the best" will insure protection from that lovely side effect many women get from taking antibiotics.

Honestly, I think that the next time I have to take antibiotics, I'm going to go ahead and pretreat with Monistat. Seems that no matter how much yogurt I eat or how many Culturelle I pop, it happens.

Antibiotics...ugh! :(
      May 2, 2017 9:43 PM MDT

Ugh. Yes. I am lucky in that only one antibiotic seems to affect me that way, but I don't think there's anything on this earth that can prevent it. Last time I had to go on that particular one, I started a whole regimen of special probiotics for that exact condition before I started the antibiotic and it didn't help. "Oh, just give it a week or so," they said. Umm... no. Just no. That's not something you just live with for a week. Five minutes is unbearable. *shudders*

Most of the time, I just get the stomach garbage with antibiotics. I haven't found any kind of probiotic system that helps even that.
      May 2, 2017 11:52 PM MDT

I remember the first time it happened, I thought I was going to DIE! I guess I'm thankful that I only get them with antibiotics.

Hope you find something that actually works!
      May 3, 2017 5:54 PM MDT

You can't...they will cause a nuclear war in your gut. Or at least it will feel that way.
      May 3, 2017 2:18 PM MDT

puritans pride sells them
      May 3, 2017 3:43 PM MDT

One well known clinic has a hand-out that it gives to people who ae being treated with antibiotics.  It suggest that those patients take probiotics, but makes no specific recommendations.

I'd ask a pharmacist---they are the ultimate authority on medication interactions. 
      May 3, 2017 3:45 PM MDT