Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » What would cause a cat to throw up a lot?

What would cause a cat to throw up a lot?

He has been throwing up for a while. I thought it might be hairballs but now believe it must be something else. I've been giving him 1/4 of a antacid as the vet suggested a long time ago. If I don't give it to him every day he cries to go out to eat grass. He must have a stomach problem. How can I get him low cost help?

Posted - May 3, 2017

Responses

It depends on where you live, but oftentimes, animal rescue centers and pounds have low-cost clinics. You can also look into pet insurance or prescription discount cards, depending on what the vet diagnoses.
      May 3, 2017 4:56 PM MDT

Hello Sunshine... sorry to hear about your kitty... the antacid your vet mentioned can be safely used long term with no ill effects.. Every other day is generally the norm but if really needed, or now and then needed it can be used daily.. WHich antacid are you using? Pepcid AC is the one generally favoured by kitty owners..  and that's generally available pretty cheaply there? I know cos I have to order it from the States as the formulation we have isn't safe for kitties... Some kitties have ranitidine.. Pepcid, which is famotadine is generally preferred but if you have tried pepcid and it isn't working you could try ranitidine..  There are newer meds.. and if you have to you could always go back to the vet and ask to try one? There's one that has appetite stimulant and and anti nausea properties...

SO as to what can cause it.. well loads of things.. some serious and some not so... I had several cats that had pancreatitis and/or IBD that tended to make them nauseus.. and I found that giving Pepcid long term and making sure they ate little and often.. I was able to manage their conditions for many years....

OOoh and another thing that's very good and very safe and gentle. it also has some benefits against renal failure.. is slippery Elm bark.. SEB as it's often called. Should be available cheaply over there as I've often had to order it from the states... you can make that into either a paste, a syrup or a pill... I tried all kinds and all worked just as well.. the last cat I had on that I made pills by mixing the powder with butter and freezing them into little pills.. and i'd defrost one each morning.. that cat had pancreatitis and so needed long term anti nausea treatment.. I found if he got his SEB and ate first thing in the morning. he would be ok. if he didn't eat hed get more nauseus..so little and often meals are good.. don't let them get too hungry.. an empty tummy is more prone to making them feel even yuckier... 

Hope this helps a little...if I can help more just shout.. I started out on the net hanging out on American cat lists...if I dont answer please shout at me.. as I often miss things on here  
      May 3, 2017 5:05 PM MDT

What a great post Adaydreambeliever!  I learned something too!  Thank you! :) :)
      May 3, 2017 5:25 PM MDT

Thank you so much for your advice.  I'll research the Elm Bark and see if it is something that he needs. 
      May 3, 2017 7:02 PM MDT

I've had a cat, Bootie, for a number of years, ever since I brought her in the house as a tiny feral kitten, and she has the exact same problem. She's been to the vet and had a thorough exam and workup and nothing was found to be causing the problem. Other than a sensitive stomach, she's a very healthy cat. You said she throws up a lot but didn't say how much. Is she losing weight?  If you don't have one, you might want to purchase a scale or if you have feed store that's close by, often times they have scales. Also, some vets have scales in their waiting rooms. 

My vet recommended feeding Bootie baby food so you might want to try that and see if it helps. 

Be very careful giving any pet over-the-counter medication, supplements or herbs without discussing it with your vet first. Following the advice of well meaning people (including myself) not trained in veterinary medicine nor the particular medical conditions of your pets, could have devistating effects. 

May 3, 2017 6:55 PM MDT

Thank you for excellent advice.  I'll try the baby food right away. 
      May 3, 2017 6:59 PM MDT

Hopefully it will help. Keep us posted. 
      May 3, 2017 10:20 PM MDT

• I agree.  Any people medicines or herbs can be toxic to cats.  You've given some very sound advice.
      May 3, 2017 9:29 PM MDT

Thank you. 

PS. The same could be true for other pets as well.

May 3, 2017 10:27 PM MDT

• God's blood! See a vet! Why ask unqualified people on a social web site where you are likely to get misinformation?
      May 3, 2017 7:31 PM MDT

Hi whistle6~ I think the same reason you stated a logical point.  When people are in need are looking to do the right thing, they reach out to each other.  It is a normal response to ask for assistance.
    In turn, people who have run into the same problem would like to share what they know has worked or been told by a vet what to do.
    It is a way of caring, sharing, and helping.
    I don't feel any one here has done anything to hurt Sunshine's cat.  Every one is trying to help one another.  It is human nature.  Hopefully, we will never stop asking for help or caring for our fellow man and animal to reach out to each other.

May 4, 2017 8:46 AM MDT

Why ask unqualified people you asked?  First of all, there's nothing wrong with asking people for advice. After all, that's the whole premise of THIS and countless other sites.

But just like anything else, people need to use the common sense the good lord gave them. If I had to go out on a limb, I'd bet this place is filled with more unqualified people than qualified ones. That being said, one still needs to be cautious and  use due dilligence with any information solicitied online, regardless of whether it has to do with a medical, legal or a personal matter. 

But it certainty doesn't mean we can't share personal experiences. 

May 6, 2017 1:14 AM MDT

• I've been the cat lady for two rescue groups, I've fostered numerous cats and kittens and I will warn you to never give herbal supplements or any other medicines to a cat without consulting a vet first.  You mention giving antacid and I'm thinking you may mean Pepcid which has had aspirin added in the last couple of years which is very dangerous to cats. People mean well giving advice but only a vet can find out what the problem is and some of the things people recommend can be unsuitable for cats.  You mention that your cat goes outside so it's possible that he's getting into something out there or another thought is that if your cat is leaving little presents in the neighbours yard they could be leaving something toxic out, it's not unheard of.

Contact some of the no kill rescue groups in your area, explain the situation and ask if they can help you.  Rescue groups get hugely discounted rates from vets so they may be able to get you in as one of their rescues, if they have a shelter then often they have a vet who donates their time who would be willing to see your kitty.

It's impossible to diagnose or even recommend medicine for something as general as vomiting, you need to get the kitty to a vet ASAP.
      May 3, 2017 9:37 PM MDT

Hi Sunshine~ I hear your concern about your kitty.  Few things are sadder than an a kitty not feeling well.  I have an idea about what also may be bothering him.  His urinary tract.  Male kitties are more prone to urinary tract infections than females.  You may want to ask the vet or change his food.  It will make a huge difference.  
    I hope both of you feel better soon.
    Sending lots of pats, Take Care, Merlin This post was edited by Merlin at May 4, 2017 8:56 AM MDT
      May 4, 2017 8:55 AM MDT