Active Now

Slartibartfast
Malizz
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Celebrities » #FireColbert. Did the comedian go too far?

#FireColbert. Did the comedian go too far?

Homophobic it certainly wasn't, the gay community is laughing its collective *** off. Insulting it was, that's what Colbert does.

Posted - May 5, 2017

Responses

I don't watch him. I did some while he was on Comedy Central. 
    So really don't care...he is an idiot. 
      May 5, 2017 5:10 AM MDT

Insulting to Trump, given that he and his cronies ARE homophobic, as well as inferring that his Royal Orangeness is Putin's *****. This post was edited by my2cents at May 5, 2017 10:57 AM MDT
      May 5, 2017 6:47 AM MDT

Some people just need to grow a thick skin and laugh it off. The guy is harmless and so is his jokes, but more importantly, grow up. I tell this to the people that think his monologues do harm. This post was edited by Zack at May 5, 2017 2:38 PM MDT
      May 5, 2017 6:50 AM MDT

• It's not my favorite of Colbert's jokes, but it's not homophobic. And I actually saw Trump supporters on Reddit trying to get Colbert fired for the comment (not because it was homophobic, but because it "slandered" Trump), which I find ironic considering the "free speech" posturing that I usually hear from that side. 
      May 5, 2017 9:33 AM MDT

Yes, he went too far.  I don't care if he is fired or not.  I have never watched him perform.
      May 5, 2017 11:15 AM MDT

I didn't hear the monologue, but got the gist of it from what I've read.  It appears that it isn't homophobic but it is vulgar.  You can be funny without being vulgar.  In that respect, he would have crossed a line.  Should he be fired for it?  Probably not.
      May 5, 2017 11:40 AM MDT

Oh, goodness...

I have a single action pistol that I've had since I was interested in quick draw competitions as a teenager.  It's a replica of the "Western" style Colt 45; and I became rather proficient with it---to the point of attracting an audience when I practiced.

If you don't know, to be able to engage the trigger to fire, I need to cock the hammer.

If that word is offensive, I guess I will have to buy a double action revolver and talk about that---I don't have to (manually) cock that hammer to fire.

I ran afoul of a mod the other day (accused of cursing) because I used a word in a quote from an old college professor during a class in child psychology, which I subsequently shared on here.  The word was in no way used as a curse, but rather a common world that  hat represents what every kid and most adults do every day of their lives.  But that particular 4 letter word turned into ****.

So, let's see if "cock" the hammer for a single action revolver is too "over the top" for this site.
      May 5, 2017 2:35 PM MDT

I hear you. A lot of my posts get edited because I mention this animal:
      April 17, 2018 9:36 PM MDT