Active Now

Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Family » How would it make you feel knowing that a family member that has just died, never really liked you?

How would it make you feel knowing that a family member that has just died, never really liked you?

Posted - May 6, 2017

Responses

• Chances are I would not have known them very well, so their death might be a blip on my radar, but precious little else.

Hard to imagine a family member not liking me, though. So I don't exactly know I'd react if it were to actually happen. 
      May 6, 2017 9:26 AM MDT

• I don't have hardly any family members left now but we all like each other. At least I think so anyway!
      May 6, 2017 9:49 AM MDT

I've known for a long, long time that my aunt(mom's sister) and my aunt's husband never really liked me. My mom is still in denial about it. Both are dead now and I didn't attend their funerals.
      May 6, 2017 9:53 AM MDT

• I'm sure there's a few qualities some family members don't care for but I know they all like me over all  and as a whole person.
      May 6, 2017 10:45 AM MDT

I'm not 100% sure that any family members that have passed, other than my dad and paternal grandparents, ever did like me.

As far as how is makes me feel, it has been unpleasant at times to say the least.
      May 6, 2017 10:54 AM MDT

My Great Uncle Harry, who the dog is named after, didn't like me.  When I was 5, I excitedly told him he looked like a frog.  He didn't like that and never forgave me.  The sad thing is, I was really into frogs at the time and I remember thinking there was nothing I was more happy about than to have an uncle who looked like a frog.  When he died, it didn't have any effect on me one way or another because we didn't have relationship.  

Zack, like you, I also had an aunt, my mother's sister, who didn't like me.  I don't know how you felt about her but for me,  the feeling was mutual.  She was not a nice woman and I felt sorry for her children.  So, when she died, again, no effect on me.  Just like people we meet, not all family members are going to like us.  I made my peace with that concept a long time ago,
      May 6, 2017 11:33 AM MDT

Both my aunt and uncle I'm sure was nice people. They only did anything for me because of my mom. They treated my dad much the same way although he helped both as they were dying from cancer.
      May 6, 2017 11:36 AM MDT

I'm sorry.  
      May 6, 2017 11:48 AM MDT

I had a similar situation with my grandfather.  I said something to him once in (understandable) anger and he never forgave me.  Punishment did not fit the crime.  We both lost much because of either his inability or unwillingness to forgive.    
      May 6, 2017 1:07 PM MDT

It's sad when adults refuse to be the adults and let go of things said by children. This post was edited by Harry at May 7, 2017 1:47 PM MDT
      May 6, 2017 2:29 PM MDT

Nicely phrased.
      May 7, 2017 1:48 PM MDT

• "Nothing I Can Do About It Now"

May 6, 2017 2:48 PM MDT

i feel like people shouldnt be telling you that if someone just died
      May 6, 2017 3:56 PM MDT