Active Now

Shuhak
my2cents
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Finance » Would a grant of US statehood have a positive or a negative effect on Puerto Rico's dire financial crisis? ~

Would a grant of US statehood have a positive or a negative effect on Puerto Rico's dire financial crisis? ~

Posted - May 6, 2017

Responses

A dire effect on the U.S. Democrats would love it. More of the disenfranchised to be hooked on never ending social programs guaranteeing votes. This post was edited by O-uknow at May 6, 2017 6:53 PM MDT
      May 6, 2017 12:54 PM MDT

Good point, I had not even thought of that angle. 

What about the the effect on Puerto Rico?  Positive or negative?

~
      May 6, 2017 1:02 PM MDT

It would make them feel good and give them power in D.C to get even more money after the bailout. They would lose some independent decision making but independent decision making is what got them in trouble.
      May 6, 2017 1:58 PM MDT

The Puerto Ricans never wanted statehood while big business was down there and taking advantage of every loophole they could but now they want bailed out and statehood would save them but leave the 50 states footing the bill.

If I remember correctly, for some reason or another Puerto Rico cannot file bankruptcy and get out of this mess like the states can, so becoming a state would help them. I just don't think we need to accept territories into statehood when times are bad, or else everyone will be wanting to be part of the United States when times aren't good and we already have enough land mass. If Puerto Rican citizens need assistance, bring them to the midwest or even here in Tennessee.  There is even plenty of room for them in California and New York State. Rescue the people and leave the government officials there to figure it out.
      May 6, 2017 1:07 PM MDT

• That's a great point.  Spot on.  They didn't want it when times were good they shouldn't get it when they mismanaged themselves into chit.
      May 6, 2017 3:13 PM MDT