Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Reverend Muhammadovsky
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Cars have 4, 6, 8 cylinders. Any of 'em ever have 2? Any of 'em still do? Which ones?

Cars have 4, 6, 8 cylinders. Any of 'em ever have 2? Any of 'em still do? Which ones?

Posted - May 8, 2017

Responses

• I doubt any car could run on two cylinders, with satisfactory results. I do know that for a number of years now, some models offer a shut down a couple of cylinders during cruising speeds. When acceleration is needed, it will revert back to full cylinders. All a measure of saving fuel. Usually seen from 8 cylinders to 6. Not sure of current possibilities in even newer technology. Many models in today's line up have great performance with 4 cylinders. 
      May 8, 2017 6:21 AM MDT

This reply is extremely helpful and informative to me Jett. Clearly I don't have a clue and the info you provided is useful and I appreciate it! Thank you  m'dear and Happy Monday to you! :)
      May 8, 2017 6:25 AM MDT

• Happy Monday Rosie :)
      May 8, 2017 6:27 AM MDT

Thank you Jett! :)
      May 8, 2017 6:30 AM MDT

Volkswagen and Volvo both produce a V5, and Daihatsu built the Charade which had a very effective 1-litre inline 3.
    Honda tried a 2-cylinder engine in the City 3-door hatch but it didn't work too well, being essentially a modified motorcycle power plant. Didn't produce the torque required to push a heavier vehicle.
      May 8, 2017 8:09 AM MDT