Active Now

Slartibartfast
my2cents
Element 99
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Does your religion look down upon the use of birth control methods so you don't get pregnant until you want a child? Is it accepted, frowned upon or forbidden? Why?

Does your religion look down upon the use of birth control methods so you don't get pregnant until you want a child? Is it accepted, frowned upon or forbidden? Why?

I don't think any child should be an "accident". All children deserve being wanted.  Anyone disagree?.

Posted - July 17, 2016

Responses

No. My religion has no problem with birth control. The Bible does forbid premarital sex so if using BC to allow for premarital sex it would be a problem...the problem is premarital sex not birth control.
    Just because a pregnancy is unplanned doesn't mean the child is unwanted.
      July 17, 2016 6:22 AM MDT

• I think you're being disingenuous and geared to incite controversy. I don't think you really care about anybody's religious proclivities.

You should just state what you believe without using back door ambush tactics.

July 17, 2016 12:43 PM MDT

I follow the Hindu religion.  I don't adhere to it because it has a lot of branches.  I try to go to the very beginning.  Unlike the Bible, which was written chiefly by white men, this faith goes back to a better explanation of what the Bible is hinting at.   I think the message is identical.  That is the miracle.  The Bible, The Q'ran,  The Vedas?   All the same message.   The world began as sound.  OHM.   The Bible says, in the beginning was the WORD and the WORD was made Flesh or Good or whatever.   I am not sure what the Q'ran says.   Sorry.  It came relatively later anyway.

So, the God I worship does not judge.  Rather God teaches and instructs.  Sure, you can have a child when you want.   You can control that anyway you wish, actually.  BUT, if you want the gift of the lesson, you will be in tune with your body, not need sex except as a sacred ritual of ecstacy, and being a veritable monk if you really wish to climb the ladder of detachment and peace.

That is up to you, God blesses you regardless of where you are or what path you choose because after all, we are part of God.  God smiles.   He is patient.   The most desperate form of bliss is the one where we are never satisfied.   That is the problem with sex.  Temporary bliss.

July 17, 2016 12:49 PM MDT

Gee NHP I don't read the response of m2c as being a "back door ambush tactic" or that she intends to  "incite controversy."  I'm not sure why you do. Now she is very conservative. I am very liberal. I read it as a straightforward answer to my question so I wonder if you would mind explaining to me why you think it isn't?  I like to understand where people are coming from and what they mean. Sometimes it's really hard to tell because words mean different things to different people. So thank you for indulging me.

July 18, 2016 4:31 AM MDT

That is also the problem with many choices in life Sharonna. Temporary bliss. And then the abyss. Thank you for a very thoughtful and comprehensive answer. I appreciate the time you gave to it.

July 18, 2016 4:33 AM MDT

• My dear Rosie, I was referring to your question. I feel like the question is not about religion. But a back door way to abortion. I could be wrong. And if I an. I sincerely apologize.

July 18, 2016 8:13 AM MDT

You are completely. absolutely, totally, irrefutably and unequivocally wrong. There would be NO ABORTION if people were allowed to use birth control methods to prevent conception NHP. Those who are anti-abortion and also anti birth control methods are very confusing to me. If they don't want a fetus to be aborted why not make sure there is none to abort? Birth control pills. They do the job. They PREVENT conception. They do not abort. They cannot. There is nothing to abort.  I am FOR birth control to prevent conception. I am FOR all children being wanted. Birth control allows you to plan your family. That is why they are called FAMILY PLANNING CLINICS and PLANNED PARENTHOOD. I'm not yelling at you NHP. I am simply emphasizing the important words. I do not conflate birth control with abortion. Some do. Different strokes! :)

July 20, 2016 7:05 AM MDT