Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » I must ask you. Why do countries like China and India need an accord to follow environmental do's and don'ts if not to bind the U.S

I must ask you. Why do countries like China and India need an accord to follow environmental do's and don'ts if not to bind the U.S

to agreements it obeys in good faith but they have no intention of adhering to, judging by their track records so far? The U.S needs NO accord to do what it is already doing voluntarily.

Posted - June 2, 2017

Responses

The USA, ESPECIALLY NOW, needs to show "accord" with their neighbors and not use this platform of ecology and enlightening the world as to the dire situation regarding all things CLIMATE CHANGE, by taking a stand on who did what in the past.

WHO CARES?   We need to band together YESTERDAY and petty b.s. ravings about who did what to whom and who is going to screw whom, pale in comparison to what will manifest if we do NOTHING like TRUMP wants. 

Trump wants attention.   He has no platform.  He knows zilch about the history of India.  And, I fear, what history you are slanting this argument towards.  He is taking the wrong stand at the wrong time.  He is hated and he thinks he is teflon and no one is going to sling any mud that will stick.   It is sticking.  He is pissing off his chief fans, the MONEY guys.  The corporations are not happy with Moron Don.
      June 2, 2017 9:08 AM MDT

You do ask some very interesting questions. Pity you don't appreciate my replies lol. 

So, US accord is needed cos really it needs everyone, or as many as possible to be working to the same goal for it to work.. And the thing about US is, is that it's BIG. It is also one of the regions that contributes the most towards CO2 emissions and global warming.. Partly cos it's BIG but even discounting that... 

So very simply if US doesn't place committment to reducing CO2 emissions and preventing/controlling global warming.. then everyone else in the world has to work much much harder and take on more of the share.. Many would perceive that as unfair as the world is one which we all live in.   

America isn't a poor county, it has choices and if they are not going to shoulder their part of the responsibility.. then we have to conclude that money is being placed before the environment - which has consequences and makes others suffer.. Many would also see it as irresponsible and it won't endear America to the rest of the world who often perceive America unfavourably as it is.. 

I am afraid that Trumps assertions that America is meeting targets and is doing their bit are not borne out by the stats... and that will only get worse.. so I am afraid this strikes many of us as another example of alternative facts.. Trump seems to be streaming out some very false information ..which unfortunately some are believing.. at best that's burying head in the sand, at worse it's acting selfishly and dumping problems on others to solve. 
      June 2, 2017 9:29 AM MDT

That was very nice.   I read it.  I appreciate all you said.  Well said, ma'am.
      June 2, 2017 9:32 AM MDT

I forgot to say too.. many people look to the US for direction and to be held as an example.. We know the US likes to think of themselves as leaders and superpower.. well that holds the expectation to set an example..  and this example is a really bad one and one which could have disasterous consequences.. what if people looking to the US as an example decide that they will do the same? Bad move :(
      June 2, 2017 9:40 AM MDT

If you are a leader in the world---whether by choice or default---what you approve of and what you don't approve of are equally significant to those who look to you for guidance.

Rather than abdicate that position of leadership in our name, why doesn't he just resign?
      June 2, 2017 10:31 AM MDT

Aha!!  A thinker.  Nice post.
      June 2, 2017 12:42 PM MDT