Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » "Numbers never lie". Assuming the numbers are not lies themselves but 100% is that statement true? Scientifically?

"Numbers never lie". Assuming the numbers are not lies themselves but 100% is that statement true? Scientifically?

Posted - June 4, 2017

Responses

Im not sure there is exactly 100 percent of anything. 
      June 4, 2017 7:53 AM MDT

Of course there is cp! Ca vas san dire! Give me a plate of food. I eat everything on it. I have consumed 100% of what was there. Give me a glass of water. I drink all of it. I consumed all of it. 100%. You run out of gas. Your tank is empty. You used up 100% of the gas! You take a test and get 100%! That means you got everything right, nothing wrong. What do you mean you're not sure there is exactly 100 percent of anything? Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday! :)
      June 4, 2017 9:19 AM MDT

Lol Not unless you lick the plate. Even then there is traces left until you wash the plate. Same with the tank of gas. Unless you wash the empty tank of gas, it wasnt quite empty to start with, so it cant be 100 percent filled up because it was never 100 percent empty. ha ha
      June 4, 2017 10:28 AM MDT

Touche I say ole! Touche. However aren't you splitting hairs here? We did not talk about microscopic evidence. I do believe you do believe you are correct. I am not knowledgeable enough to argue with you cp. I shall  retreat because I think this WIN must be extremely important to you. Winning matters not one whit to me. So congratulations and salutations and felicitations for being a winner! :)
      June 4, 2017 10:32 AM MDT

I give this to you. I dont care about winning. It must be the scientist in me. In science they say there is no such thing as 100 percent exactly anything. ha ha. I was just reiterating. 
      June 4, 2017 12:36 PM MDT

• Numbers may not lie but their presentation may be manipulated to produce skewed meaning.  Suppose on some weekend 100 arrests are made.
    25 people with Hispanic sir names, 25 people with dark skin and 50 white middle class people.  The newspaper publishes 6 Hispanics, 7 dark skinned people and 1 white person.  True number very skewed meaning. 
      June 4, 2017 8:27 AM MDT

What is that supposed to mean?   Numbers never lie if the operator who is using the numbers has enough wherewithall to understand how to use and prove.

Bones never lie either.  But that only is in respect to bones.  Not to anything else.   Water never lies either.  Nor does the sun. 

So, numbers are a finite tool to express much of how the universe operates.  Numbers are just tools.  And yes, if the idiot who operates the numbers doesn't have the right proof, numbers lie.
      June 4, 2017 8:44 AM MDT

C'mon Sharonna! You don't know me by now? They are supposed to mean WHATEVER the he** you think they mean. I ask the question. You reply to it as YOU interpret it. I don't spoon feed anyone. I don't hold your  hand and or give you hints. I just ask the question. Geez Louise how many years have I restated this same position? Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday to you and yours.
      June 4, 2017 9:17 AM MDT

I like Shakira's song; 'Hips Don't Lie'.  
      June 4, 2017 9:42 AM MDT