Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Any freeware Anti-Virus / Malware that you have found successful for a Windows PC?

Any freeware Anti-Virus / Malware that you have found successful for a Windows PC?

Been getting a lot of redirects and that microsoft virus warning scam. Appreciate any recommendations. 

Posted - June 8, 2017

Responses

• I used to use AVG free and it's good but a little clunky. This link takes you to the best free ones. I changed to Webroot SecureAnywhere but it's $29.99. It's the best one I've had. You also might look into Malwarebytes free also. Super product! Links below.

Best Free Antivirus for 2017 (With Complete Reviews) - The Balance

Malwarebytes | Free Anti-Malware & Malware Removal

June 8, 2017 8:52 AM MDT

• Appreciate the information! 
      June 8, 2017 8:55 AM MDT

I used to have AVG as well. I have PC Matic ..it is $50 but can use it on up to 5 computers. 
      June 8, 2017 9:09 AM MDT

That is what I got and nothing got rid of it. I was running Macafee and Malwarebytes when I got it. MacAfee actually issued a refund because they couldn't fix it and then had the nerve to tell me browsers aren't covered by their service. I gave up trying to deal with Malwarebytes because I explained to them repeatedly via email what my problem was and what I had done, and they still didn't get it. Eventually, I gave up and bought a new PC because it wasn't worth the repair cost to fix my laptop. But, my new PC caught the same virus right away. I gave in and paid a repair shop to clean it and put a fresh copy of Windows on it and the virus was active again before I even got to use the PC. I hadn't added any docs and didn't upload programs.

Anywho, I still have two infected computers and can only access the web via Tor because it's the only browser that is not vulnerable to the virus. I hope you have better luck than me.

If you want to read the tips I got, you can find them here:
    http://answermug.com/forums/topic/21870/computer-gurus-what-s-my-next-step-in-removing-sneaky-malware
    http://answermug.com/forums/topic/26372/computer-gurus-how-do-you-beat-a-virus-that-removes-your-abilit
      June 8, 2017 10:21 AM MDT

Just a head's up, I just got an email from my internet service provider that said they detected I have the DNS Changer Virus. There was one that made the rounds in 2012 that was so bad the FBI got involved. Millions of people infected. It's back. Or, rather, some jerk with the same idea is running a similar virus. My virus is in my router and impacts every device in my household. If you can't get rid of your virus, you could have the same problem.

From what I understand of it, I have to clean all my computers and clean/ update/ reset my routers- I have two and have no idea which one it's on or how to go about fixing them. :/ If you're battling the same beast, I wish you all the best.
      June 14, 2017 1:20 AM MDT