Active Now

Element 99
my2cents
Shuhak
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Do you cnsider our generation today is like a microwave? Wanting everything instant like fast food or refusing to sit in long lines for some

Do you cnsider our generation today is like a microwave? Wanting everything instant like fast food or refusing to sit in long lines for some

Reference to microwave because its not like a oven where it take time or patience.  

Posted - June 12, 2017

Responses

I get what you are saying. 

I think that this generation is a generation of instant gratification.  I think that this generation has no clue of the benefit of waiting for what matters.  They have no clue as to what thinking, planning, deciding a future benefit would entail, much less appreciating what planning can do for the outcome.   At least that is what I see so far.  BUT? They are being taught by ADULTS who have shown them nothing else. 

They have no role models.  

I wouldn't call them just  microwave addicts, although now that I think about that, you did give a great example.   But it needs more fleshing out.

I would call them emotionally retarded children with no tools to change.

"Rococo"

Let's go downtown and watch the modern kids
    Let's go downtown and talk to the modern kids
    They will eat right out of your hand
    Using great big words that they don't understand
    They're singing:

Rococo, rococo, rococo, rococo
    Rococo, rococo, rococo, rococo

They build it up just to burn it back down
    They build it up just to burn it back down
    The wind is blowing all the ashes around
    Oh my dear God what is that horrible song they're singin'

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 12, 2017 10:43 AM MDT
      June 12, 2017 9:29 AM MDT

• Why does one need a role model? Who would elect a person to such an exulted position?  One may draw influence and guidance from many and varied sources. How do you define what matters?   And since you imply you are indeed not a emotionally retarded child perhaps you, in wisdom and perfection, could lead the young generation in to a bright and glorious future. Don't make them wait.
      June 12, 2017 9:50 AM MDT

YOu are nothing without them.  

You could not take one breath and or one step without role models to pattern yourself after.   Your parents are your fist role models.   What do you think we do?  Crawl out of the vagina by ourselves and get a job and feed ourselves?  Without people to pattern ourselves after continuously and people to do for us?  We don't exist. 

Re-think that one.  OKAY?

June 12, 2017 9:54 AM MDT

Role models are a must regardless. However not every child has a parent but some have a temporary guardian to care for them. to give the new generation a chance to be different and learn to wait, have respect and take their time would be greatly beneficial to the children to come! to see a issue and to make change would create a new generation to be productive. we send children into a time we will not see and what we teach them is crucial to our world in itself.   This post was edited by Perfect Mystery at June 12, 2017 10:50 AM MDT
      June 12, 2017 10:48 AM MDT

sounds like it
      June 12, 2017 9:31 AM MDT

• I don't think it's limited to the current generation. You should see how many incredibly impatient and rude people in their 40s and 50s I run into at my job. 
      June 12, 2017 9:32 AM MDT

Yes, But not because the "Youth of today is worthless" Just because the internet is fast enough to teach us we should expect that.
      June 12, 2017 9:35 AM MDT

i agree the internet and electronics do have a huge part of it. 
      June 12, 2017 10:08 AM MDT

I don't like waiting on long lines when it's unnecessary.  I used to bank where they had one teller on duty at what is normally considered lunchtime.  That's when everyone who has a job comes in to do their banking if they can't do it at an ATM.  The bank is there to serve their clients, so you would think they would have at least two tellers on hand at that time.  I now use a different bank - TD Bank - where I walk in and I'm surprised if there's one other person on line ahead of me.  They are open 7 days a week and have hours from 8 AM to 7 PM during the week and close a 3 PM on Sunday.  The teller is friendly, asks if there's anything else they can handle for me and, if not, I'm off.  Takes 10 minutes at the most.
      June 12, 2017 9:41 AM MDT

• Doesn't every older generation bash the younger generation?  Seems unnecessary and unproductive.
      June 12, 2017 9:42 AM MDT

yes to bash is unproductive but what can change it from bashing to learning? make change and help the new generation to be different. 
      June 12, 2017 10:27 AM MDT

• It is not my place to instruct the new generation, who is to say my approach to life is a correct one?  More, if the new generation supposedly wants instant gratification, a developmental period we all go through, most will set it aside as part of the maturation process. 

PS.  Everyone hates waiting in lines.  Remember your post next time your at the grocers with 15 checkout aisles but 3 open.
      June 12, 2017 11:40 AM MDT

Lines never bother me. There are youth leaders, after school programs and such for kids to give them supportive guidance. 
      June 12, 2017 11:48 AM MDT