Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » I always thought the SURVIVAL instinct was in our DNA. A primal urge. Why do some sacrifice themselves so readily for so little?

I always thought the SURVIVAL instinct was in our DNA. A primal urge. Why do some sacrifice themselves so readily for so little?

Posted - June 13, 2017

Responses

• the value of what one sacrifices one's self for is determined by that individual. 
      June 13, 2017 7:41 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply whistle and Happy Tuesday. I realize that. What I'm asking is why some sacrifice/ruin their lives for so little return? You would think that such an enormous sacrifice would yield an equally enormous  return on investment for anyone to do that. Some sacrifice their lives to drugs or alcohol or unprotected sex. Others sacrifice their lives to political ideals or even worse politicians for whom they bow and scrape and destroy themselves. The question is WHY? This post was edited by RosieG at June 13, 2017 7:55 AM MDT
      June 13, 2017 7:54 AM MDT

There are also other instincts. A mothers instinct to protect her young. (there is no return for the mother if she dies, yet the young survive) and similar to this the pack instinct, where one will die protecting the rest of the pack. Is there any return for this for the individual? No, the return is the survival  of the pack. (this could be the reasoning behind soldiers willingly fighting to the death, to protect the country)
      June 13, 2017 10:20 AM MDT

probably cause theyre trying to survive
      June 13, 2017 3:21 PM MDT