Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Groups against the GOP drive to replace Obamacare are worried that investigations into President Trump and his campaign are diverting...

Groups against the GOP drive to replace Obamacare are worried that investigations into President Trump and his campaign are diverting...

from efforts to derail the GOP health-care bill.

Progressive groups, abortion-rights advocates and labor unions are urging Senate Democrats to slow work to a crawl to prevent Majority Leader Mitch McConnell from passing a health-care bill before a weeklong July 4 recess. Health-care bill opponents want to hammer Republicans at home during the break in an effort to kill the proposal later in the month.

McConnell’s attempt to craft an Obamacare replacement behind closed doors has muted public focus on the coming debate, which groups say could help him get enough Republican support to pass the measure. Even more so, they complain, investigations into Russian election meddling and Trump’s firing of FBI Director James Comey have crowded health care off the front pages.

“The relentless pace of mind-blowing revelations on Russia have been a disaster for Donald Trump but also an opportunity for Mitch McConnell,” said Ben Wikler, Washington director for the liberal group MoveOn.org.

What's up with that? Don't these same lefty groups WANT Trump to be investigated? It seems to be their wishful thinking come true. Is this a case of "you can't eat your cake and have it too?"

Posted - June 19, 2017

Responses

When the bill finally passed the house, it did so by only four votes.  Republicans have a much slimmer majority in the Senate.  Several Republican senators, as well as governors, have expressed concerns over the bill.  I don't know what deals they are trying to hammer out behind closed doors, but I'm not sure they can pull it off. 

Frankly, while I think the ACA was a bureaucratic CF, I do not see the AHCA as an improvement.  Both bills were/are more about political party "wins" than about what is in the best interests of the American people.  

If you look at the numbers, rather than listen to the insurance companies whining and crying, their profits soared after the ACA was passed.  Now they are pulling out of the exchanges, while continuing to profit from Medicare and Medicaid.  Perhaps if the companies pulling out of the exchanges weren't allowed to continue their participation in Medicare and Medicaid, they might decide that as the profits outweigh the losses, they would stay.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/03/18/business/health-insurers-profit.html

As far as the left and what they want, I think some have accepted the fact that Trump was elected and want to deal with the issues facing our country.  Those focusing on the investigations are more concerned with getting Trump out of office than anything else.

As always...JMHO This post was edited by Bozette at June 19, 2017 2:03 PM MDT
      June 19, 2017 11:19 AM MDT