Active Now

Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » whats the best way to get rid of bedbugs?

whats the best way to get rid of bedbugs?

I mightve had them for a while but didnt realize it till recently , i would get up with scratches on my legs and not know how it happened. i saw a couple of them but thought i saw a regular bug, saw them this morning and more than one so i got rid of my sheets and blankets and trashed them, and put it in big garbage bags and took them out to the dumpster, and yes i saw bugs in them, i know, gross, i  had other blankets and sheets anyways, i went to the dollar store and got some bug spray for them, i have pest repellers plugged into my apt so i moved one of them into my bedroom and plugged it near my bed, hopefully that should take care of it, i dont see them every day. i know they sell them especially for bedbugs but i think i might be wasting my money since i already have one, if it dont work maybe i'll buy one then. any suggestions?

Posted - June 20, 2017

Responses

Over the counter stuff doesn't cut it. Once you have bedbugs, they are really tough to get rid of.  Pearl, sorry to say you need a professional exterminator.  Even they have trouble getting rid of bed bugs and won't guarantee anything.  If you are in an apartment rental, the landlord or managing agent should have an exterminator on contract.  Call and complain and ask them to send someone over immediately.

Sorry this happened to you.

This post was edited by Harry at June 20, 2017 9:59 PM MDT
      June 20, 2017 4:25 PM MDT

It's really hard to get rid of them in any kind of community housing. Any infestation is. If one of your neighbors doesn't do what they need to, the bugs will come right back.

As Harry said, you need a professional exterminator, and your apartment complex should be paying to treat your apartment, as well as any other affected apartments near you. The degree of service you'll get will vary, but you may have to do some of the work on your own, such as sealing up pretty much everything in your apartment and laundering all your textiles. The first step is going to your apartment manager, though. It's their job to investigate and treat. They have a legal obligation to ensure your apartment is inhabitable, and it's not when there's an infestation of any kind. From there, they should tell you what falls on you to do and what their services will cover. Good luck.
      June 20, 2017 4:41 PM MDT

https://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Bed-Bugs
      June 20, 2017 5:00 PM MDT

Throw your mattress away asap.  If you live in a Housing Authority place, notify them and they can take care of it. I live in a senior/disabled highrise and they have a person who takes care of that, if needed.  They checked for that a few months ago.  We were fine.  You might need to buy an air mattress to sleep on until you get another mattress.  If you don't live in a Housing place,  tell your manager.
      June 20, 2017 5:01 PM MDT

• No idea. I don't have a problem with bedbugs. 
      July 15, 2017 3:14 AM MDT