Active Now

Slartibartfast

Why Miracles ?

It is generally acknowledged that miracles happen. Most people think they come from the god they believe in. So far it all makes sense.

But why do miracles happen? Why are they a needful thing for God to make ? Was he less than competent in creating a universe where thing would go as he wished ?

Or is it a kind of nepotism. Protecting the people he approve of from calamities that hit most everyone else (like the Flood of Noah), Divine selection.

Or, Or, Or, ... ?

There must be some reason why God break the rules he made himself about how the universe runs.

Of course, it could be that there really are no rules. That every time a 'natural law' is observed what we are really seeing a lot of miraculous maintnance adjustments he does to fool us into thinking there are rules. Should we maybe feel guilty for inventing cell phones and TV and Automobiles that require God (well, more likely his angels) to intercede with miracles in order to make sure every cell phone call can get though. that every car engine can work, that ...?

Please explain :-)

Posted - June 24, 2017

Responses

MIRACLE: An act or event out of the order of nature and unaccountable, as beating a normal hand of four kings and an ace with four aces and a king.
      July 16, 2017 3:18 PM MDT

• Very well, prove that your deity is real and that all of the others are false. That should be interesting. No one has ever offered a shred of objective evidence that any gods exist, and you are not likely to be the first. Until there is proof that one god does in fact exist and is more real than the millions of others, it is only logical to assert that gods do not exist.  The Bible has so much ignorance of the real world and has so many blatant contradictions that it is quite obviously a quite crude work of primitive fiction. Thomas Jefferson said that critically reading the Bible was likely to make you an atheist. Mark Twain, Donald Morgan and Isaac Asimov agreed. You cannot reasonably brush aside what does not suit your biases I should have said. Just ignoring what is inconvenient is illogical. Yes, you are obviously biased. Denials are futile when you prove it. The Bible is full of huge contradictions.
      July 16, 2017 5:56 PM MDT

Well, of course if I actually gave you proof, my doing so would eliminate the process of free will as a necessary part of a search for the truth of His existence.  And of course, the only meaningful consideration is not whether I can offer proof of His existence, but rather whether or not I am right in my conclusions.  Interesting that you use my not offering proof that would compel you to believe that He exists somehow allows you to embrace what you categorize as the "only logical assertion"---namely that "gods do not exist."

And why do you refer to yourself as a PrettyAss in Russian? This post was edited by tom jackson at July 16, 2017 8:42 PM MDT
      July 16, 2017 8:41 PM MDT

• I have a fabulous figure. My user name is one of my nicknames. I am from Ukraine. Free will is a feeble excuse for a work of crude fiction. Truth is not a matter of choice. Truth can never be simply whatever you want it to be.  I agree with logic and reason, and they tell me there is no objective evidence for any gods' existence. You cannot be right when logic and reason show you are wrong. They are far more reliable than blind beliefs in absurd "govno". You evidently do not like Logic and Objectivity that refute your cherished beliefs. Allowing and choice have no place on logic and objectivity. I do not just arbitrarily choose to believe any ideas. I have no choice but to agree with Objective Logic. Everyone should be the same way, rather than stubbornly clinging to irrational, illogical, outmoded primitive superstitions. Your thinking is badly-flawed. 
      July 26, 2017 12:08 PM MDT

Because epiphanys are too personal.  
      July 16, 2017 5:58 PM MDT

I think a definition of what a miracle is, is needed before you or anyone else can say 'It is generally acknowledged that miracles happen'. I also feel that PROOF of any alleged miracle is needed and so far as I am aware this has not been forthcoming. For example the following is widely considered to be a miracle.

50 When Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, He yielded up His spirit. 
    51 At that moment the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth quaked and the rocks were split. 
    52 The tombs broke open, and the bodies of many saints who had fallen asleep were raised. 
    53 After Jesus’ resurrection, when they had come out of the tombs, they entered the holy city and appeared to many people.

The problem I have with the above and why I consider it to be a fairy story is that not one person outwith the bible thought this worthy of a mention.The same can be said about Moses  and his 'miracles' with his staff, his plagues, his destruction of the first born, the parting of the sea etc. So we have two of the best record keepers of their times, the Romans and the Egyptians neither of which mention anything about these so called 'miracles'. In modern times we have Teresa made a saint because she performed a 'miracle' (according to the Vatican) by 'curing' a woman, yet the woman's very husband states she was cured by doctors.

A very large dose of skepticism is needed when looking at so called 'miracles'. 
      July 21, 2017 9:44 PM MDT