Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Am I cursed?

Am I cursed?

Every time I've liked a guy throughout my life he's either been uninterested, already in a relationship or both or gay. Every time I've "made the first move" I've gotten rejected, ignored/avoided, and ultimately heartbroken. I'm weeks away from my 21st birthday and I've never kissed, dated or anything and I just feel literally cursed b/c everyone else around me is in a relationship and can get relationships with no problem whatsoever, but with me there's always some kind of roadblock and I don't know what to do anymore :(

Posted - July 19, 2016

Responses

• If you're a curse then I am a bad omen. I've always been single all my life. Lol I just say freak it and I became super selfish with my time.if I wouldn't worry about it the people around you who have significant others will usually break up with them to hook up with someone else. Maybe one of those times, it could be you!

July 19, 2016 8:50 PM MDT

Don't make the first move. Every guy will respond short term, but if you want a long term relationship then respond to those guys who approach you. Respond in a friendly way, not flirty. Wear clothes that are fresh, clean, and not sexy because guys will put you in "good for now" category and not "wife" category immediately. Then I would encourage you to go slow in a relationship when you have a boyfriend eventually. No need to rush anything

Everything in life is valued more when we work hard for it. You are a pearl. remember that.

This is a time for you to be busy with school, activities, volunteering, exercising, sports and many other activities. Don't worry about finding a boyfriend. He will find you. You want the right guy, and it is devastating marrying the wrong guy. It is worth waiting for.

July 19, 2016 8:53 PM MDT

• Thank you :) This gives me hope

July 19, 2016 9:05 PM MDT

• Sounds to me like you just have high standards and you're not willing to compromise ... and that's not a bad thing .. Don't give up hun :)
      July 19, 2016 9:06 PM MDT

• ...I do, haha. I've been called picky, but I don't believe in settling for just anyone just for the sake of being able to say I have a boyfriend. I'd rather stay single than go out with someone I know deep down I don't really want.
    Thank you :)

July 19, 2016 9:16 PM MDT

• Maybe, haha

July 19, 2016 9:17 PM MDT

No, you are not cursed. That's how it works for most people.

http://answermug.com/photo/albums/the-laws-of-human-intergenderdynamics

July 19, 2016 9:20 PM MDT

• That's okay and I agree with you. .. Just remember though you do meet more people when you're out then when you're home :)
    And is okay to go out by yourself to art galleries and museums .. I've met some great people doing the things I enjoy doing :)
      July 19, 2016 10:50 PM MDT
  • Bez

First you say "I just feel literally cursed b/c everyone else around me is in a relationship and can get relationships with no problem whatsoever, but with me there's always some kind of roadblock and I don't know what to do anymore", then you say "I've been called picky, but I don't believe in settling for just anyone just for the sake of being able to say I have a boyfriend. I'd rather stay single than go out with someone I know deep down I don't really want". These two statements appear to contradict each other, so the first thing you need to do is to decide which one of these two statements really applies to you and then stick with it for life, discarding the other statement permanently. Once you have decided which one truly applies to you, you can take it from there.

July 20, 2016 12:31 AM MDT

• Well they don't contradict to me because when I say everyone else is in a relationship but me, I mean they've found guys they actually want to be with and get to go out with them w/ no issue. But every time I find a guy I like, there's an issue so I can't go out with them.
    And no, I don't believe I should have to "settle" for someone; I'll wait if it means being with someone I actually want to be with, just like everyone else but me seems to be having success doing

July 20, 2016 1:02 AM MDT

• Not cursed.

Be strategic.

Decide your values, prefered lifetyle, and goals.

Work out where guys with the same are likely to work, study or be active. Get yourself into that environment every day, or frequently. Get to know them.

Be happy with yourself and your own company. Have lots of interests and follow at least one seriously.

Then, having given yourself the best chances of meeting the right sorts, wait, and let them choose you.

When one turns up, don't accept him unless you think he has a good chance of being right for you.

Staying single till you meet him is the best insurance that you'll be available when he turns up.

July 20, 2016 3:33 AM MDT

"""" Every time I've liked a guy throughout my life he's either been uninterested, already in a relationship or both or gay. """"

Sounds like your standards for a man is too high.. So that when you finally see a guy you desire He does not desire you because he can get woman who are better then you..

Many young woman want Mr Perfect.. And think they can get a Mr Perfect too..  It's called daddies little princess complex.. These girls have been so showered with attention and affection from their daddy that they truly think they are pretty princesses and think they are a 10 when they are in fact probably a 6 or 5

July 20, 2016 8:15 AM MDT

• I'm not remotely qualified to offer advice but if I could suggest one thing it would be this: stop trying.  Most of us change stuff about ourselves to 'fit in' in one way or another.  In doing so we run the risk of not allowing ourselves to be ourselves.  This in turn can alter how we are viewed by others in a variety of subtle ways, many of them negative.

July 20, 2016 10:38 AM MDT

• Gee thanks *eyeroll*

July 20, 2016 11:08 AM MDT

Get some meds.   Try again.

July 20, 2016 3:40 PM MDT

• ? Wow, okay

July 20, 2016 3:47 PM MDT

• Do you think there is anything about you which is off-putting to others?

If so, would you be willing to share with us what it is?

Have you experimented with virtual relationships in the adult section of answerMug?

July 20, 2016 6:30 PM MDT

Yeah but what i am saying if often true.. It may not be right about you.. But it is often the case..

July 20, 2016 9:05 PM MDT

If it's just not happening for you, i suggest you look at the type of guy you are going for. And where you are having these disasters. Meaning that if your idea of looking for a guy consists of hitting the clubs on a saturday night. You have kinda narrowed your view on where to look.

Also. if you are singling out one specific guy every time. Then the odds are not in your favour !

Why not join a club or society that will at least bring you into contact with guys who at least have a similar interest to your own? Pick whatever floats your boat ! Swimming; Rock climbing; Bingo ! Whatever!!

July 21, 2016 11:27 AM MDT

• Is any of this helpful to you?

Are there any responses from others that you like?

You sounded in so much distress - what's happening with you now?

July 21, 2016 2:51 PM MDT

• Most of this advice has been helpful and it's made me feel a little better and a little more hopeful. I'm trying not to see it as a "curse" anymore, just an opportunity to focus on myself and my education for a while.

July 21, 2016 2:59 PM MDT