Discussion » Questions » Family » If you have children are/were they afraid of you? Were you afraid of YOUR parents? What benefits does fear bring to a relationship? How?

If you have children are/were they afraid of you? Were you afraid of YOUR parents? What benefits does fear bring to a relationship? How?

Posted - June 27, 2017

Responses

• I have never feared anyone as much as I feared my father.  Even as a teen I sometimes sat and cried anticipating his arrival home from work.
      June 27, 2017 7:14 AM MDT

Wow. That is horrendous.   I'm so sorry, but hopefully, it made you stronger today. 
      June 27, 2017 7:24 AM MDT

((hugs)) I am so sorry that is your history with your father. I wonder how many children were treated very badly whistle? It would probably be a depressingly large number if we could find that stat. Thank you for your reply. I think if there is a HE** there should be a special room reserved for those who abuse children and animals. We are supposed to protect them, take care of them.  SIGH.
      June 28, 2017 1:45 AM MDT

• I would have liked to understood what made him so bitter, hate filled and unstable.  His parenting was a scary, terrible experience for me.  But it had to be terrible for him to live with so much rage and bitterness and to be trapped in a intolerable situation, spouse, parent and his job, with no way out and no coping strategy. 
      June 28, 2017 7:30 AM MDT

I expect that was how he was treated/raised by his parents whistle. I mean our first role models/teachers are our parents. He only mirrored what he learned. He was not able to overcome it so he repeated what he experienced. Of course that is only a guess. Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday! :)
      July 2, 2017 4:03 AM MDT

• Perhaps.  But I have often wondered if there was an organic, biological influence.  The brain is subject to injury or poor function like all organs.  It was also obvious family life totally overwhelmed him. 
      July 2, 2017 7:49 PM MDT

ive never had children but i was afraid of my parents at times when they were emotionally abusive and no it dont benefit the children at all
      June 27, 2017 1:41 PM MDT

I feel bad that you had such an experience pearl. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :)
      June 28, 2017 1:45 AM MDT

I was afraid of my parents when they drank too much alcohol. Other than that, they were alright.
      June 27, 2017 7:04 PM MDT

BOTH of them drank too much? So you didn't have a champion who would protect you. That's sad. Thank you for your reply Patch and Happy Wednesday! :)
      June 28, 2017 1:47 AM MDT

Atleast they made me steer away from the whole alcoholism thing. I certainly don't want to turn out like them. Besides, alcohol seems to trigger migraines in me anyway.
      June 28, 2017 5:32 AM MDT

My brother-in-law has the same problem Patch. Also cheddar cheese and chocolate trigger migraines for him! How sad isTHAT? Thank you for your reply! :)
      June 28, 2017 10:52 AM MDT

I was brought up to have a healthy fear of adults.  I don't think it was a bad thing since I learned early on to be respectful to authority.  

I cringe when I see parents being more of a "friend" to their child than a "parent".  I think too much of that may set up a child to not know their boundaries.
      June 28, 2017 11:07 AM MDT

I disagree with thee PeaPod. Fearing one's parents makes me feel so sad. Also being your child's friend is a good thing. Being a friend does not mean giving in to the child on everything or spoiling him/her. It means what "friend" means at any age. You are on his/her side. You give support when needed and encouragement and also advice/guidance when needed. You are always honest and respectful to your child because if you aren't how does he/she learn how to treat others? Thank you for your reply and  Happy Sunday. Long ago someone said "children need a soft place to land". Parents should always be that soft place in my opinion no matter how old the children are. Just my opinion! :)
      July 2, 2017 3:54 AM MDT

Nice reply RosieG ;)
      July 2, 2017 8:52 PM MDT

Maybe fear is the wrong word.  It's respect.  I just know I wouldn't have ever disrespected an adult and that carried into how I treat people today.  

My dad ended up raising us after my mom left our family.  He played the role of being a friend instead of a parent.  I was in my very early teens.  There were no rules, no boundaries, and it was the most confusing time of my life.  Yes, a good parent is kind and involved with their child, but needs to be able to put rules and expectations in place and stick to them.

Trust me.  Raising yourself at the most critical time in your life is something that can really make going into adulthood very difficult.
      July 6, 2017 12:47 PM MDT

I had more fear in displeasing my parents then what they would do to me.
      July 1, 2017 1:44 PM MDT

Fear of my parents was never part of my childhood Lulu'sMom. However as the first born I always wanted to please them. I didn't want them to be angry with me or disappointed in me.  They used me as an example/role model for my "baby" sister and I didn't want to let them or her down ever. But neither one ever raised a hand to me or insulted me or called me names. I  guess I was lucky. Thank you for your reply! :)
      July 2, 2017 3:57 AM MDT

My children were/are never afraid of me. If anything I was too easy on them. I never hit them and punished them rarely if ever. They could have used more discipline. I guess Im a bit of a marshmallow.
      July 1, 2017 2:43 PM MDT

Here's what I think about hitting a child. It is physical abuse. There is never any excuse for striking a child. All it does is cause fear. It also teaches them a very important lesson. If you're big you can hit people and get away with it. What kind of lesson is that to teach a child? Folks who were raised by parents who hit them tell you "I turned out OK". Well no they didn't if they hit their children.   Physically abusing children is not OK. In my opinion. Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday to thee cp! :)
      July 2, 2017 4:00 AM MDT

No one is afraid of me.  Least of all my daughter.

I was afraid of my dad as a child.  He was mostly benign, but had a temper and would hit me once or twice a year whether I needed it or not.

July 2, 2017 7:50 PM MDT