Active Now

Slartibartfast
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Just for the halibut we should all learn how to build bridges, compromise, work things out, get over ourselves. Might come in handy right?

Just for the halibut we should all learn how to build bridges, compromise, work things out, get over ourselves. Might come in handy right?

Posted - July 11, 2017

Responses

• Have you heard about the constipated accountant?
      July 11, 2017 7:34 AM MDT

No and I would rather leave that way if you don't mind.
      July 12, 2017 4:18 AM MDT

• Well, darn.  There was a great joke to share, prompted form part of you question.
      July 12, 2017 8:07 PM MDT

I'm not a fan of toilet humor sweetie. What else would constipated have to do with but toilets and poop? How about another great joke instead? I'm sure it isn't just one you have to share. You probably have a millyun of 'em! Okey dokey? Thank you for your reply whistle and Happy Thursday! :)
      July 13, 2017 8:01 AM MDT

• Yes, I suppose scatological humor is a guy thing.  So here is a joke that I shared with a pastor and he had a good laugh.  A youth Sunday school teacher asked if any one could explain the Resurrection.  One of the boys raised his hand and said, "If you have a resurrection lasting more that four hours see your doctor.  .
      July 13, 2017 9:07 PM MDT

Hahahahahahahaha! That is way too funnee hunnee. Which reminds me. Have YOU ever sung a song lots of times and discovered later that the words you were singing weren't the same as what the song's words were? Sometimes singers don't enunciate clearly and so you do the best you can. I can't think of a specific example offhand but I do remember being surprised a couple of times when I read the actual words! Did that ever happen to you whistle? Thanks for the laughs. Great way to start off my day. You are the second person I chatted with today and that put me in a jolly good mood. I appreciate that you gave me a replacement joke! Happy  Friday m'dear! :):):)
      July 14, 2017 2:01 AM MDT

• Yes. At about 13 Superstar was wildly popular.  I sang, "Herod's Song" with the non-word "wobelee" which is actually "won't believe."
      July 14, 2017 8:21 AM MDT

Just between thee and me I much prefer "wobelee". I think I'm gonna adopt it with your permission. Instead of my saying "I won't believe a word he says" I'm gonna say "I wobelee a word he says". Now ya gotta agree with me how much cuter wobelee is compared to won't believe! You just made up a word...or rather did when you were an adolescent! Good job! Thanks for sharing that. It's a keeper whistle! :)
      July 14, 2017 8:26 AM MDT

• Yes it is public domain.  The majority of the music I listen to now is in languages I don't speak so there is only mumble along.  Here is an example...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGYYiOSkCSY

Some is in mouth singing, vocals which are not words...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J56VVtlZCGE 
      July 14, 2017 8:33 AM MDT

Languages you don't speak but you understand them? Hmm. Interesting. Have to leave Answermug now but when I return I'll click on the links whistle. Thanks. Years ago I took French in school and listened to French songs. But other than that I can't recall doing so. Bye for now m'dear! :)
      July 14, 2017 8:42 AM MDT

• No, I only understand them by liner notes or Google search.  The first link is French.
      July 14, 2017 9:18 AM MDT

Parlez-vous Francais mon ami? Je suis heureuse de faire votRe connaissance. Je m'appelle Rosemarie! High school and Junior College French. Decades ago to be sure. Bien sure!  Good for you for stretching yourself like that whistle! I'm really impressed. I should take a lesson from you and stretch more. I'm lazy. I am. No excuse! Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      July 15, 2017 8:16 AM MDT

• My understanding stopped at the first sentence.  I listen to the cited music and other such music for the music.   I read the liner note translation so I have a general idea about the lyrics but could not sing along or converse in the language.
      July 15, 2017 9:39 AM MDT

Apologies. Here's the translation. Do you speak French my friend? I'm happy to meet you. My name is Rosemarie. "Bien sure" loosely means certainly or very sure. Didn't mean to show off. The French is very rusty. I never have an occasion to use it!  Thank you for your reply whistle and Happy Sunday! :)
      July 16, 2017 1:51 AM MDT

• No apology needed.  I never even considered it showing off.  Bilingual is admirable. I had French in high school but at the time did not care at all about it.
      July 16, 2017 9:08 AM MDT

right but not everyone is willing to do that
      July 11, 2017 1:39 PM MDT

• What should we compromise? Compromise is a settlement or adjustment by concession. Willingness to yield is the heart of compromise. Someone must relinquish something or else there can never be a compromise. When one picks the lesser of two evils, you still pick evil. Pharaoh tried to talk Moses into compromise when God sent him before the Egyptian king with the request to allow the Israelites to depart. Four different compromise proposals were offered by the king. Moses rejected each one of them, one by one.  The thing is,  there can be no compromise between right and wrong, truth and error. If there is, and there has been down through the years, you end up with the type of world we now live in.

Whether it be the political scene, the work place, the laws of the land, or the home front, truth should never be compromised. Most importantly for me personally, is that GOD's Word, the Bible should never be compromised. GOD doesn't compromise nor does He condone compromise in His followers, of which I am one. To take this a step further, God not only holds His followers to account, but all of mankind. The human race continues gulping the bitter water in the sea of immorality, rejecting truth and trying to silence God’s people. Political correctness and compromise is the norm in our society and both are tearing this country apart. I will neither compromise or be politically correct

Building bridges? If that means compromising the truth then the bridge won't get built. If working things out means compromising the truth, then things won't get worked. If getting over myself means that I have to compromise the truth, then I won't get over myself. The Urban Dictionary defines "get over yourself this way......"Patronizing phrase used to tell someone that you believe they hold too high an opinion of themselves, or are behaving in a conceited or pompous manner."  If that's what you mean by getting over ourselves, then I agree, we should.
      July 13, 2017 5:10 AM MDT

Of course you give up something to get something as does the other person so you both can move forward. Insisting upon your way or the highway means you simply don't care about moving forward. You don't care about giving and receiving. You don't care about fairness or teamwork. You challenge the premise of the question which means you are not a fan of compromise, fairness, teamwork, giving and receiving. What's there to discuss then? "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you". "Love thy neighbor". "What you do to the least of mine you do to me". Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday.
      July 13, 2017 8:07 AM MDT

Handy is only handy if you are compromising to something that is not dangerious in the end.

Sometimes it is better to say, HOLD OUT FOR A BETTER CANDIDATE for starters.

Wouldn't it be great if the Repooplicans were able to make a choice in that matter?

July 13, 2017 8:15 AM MDT

Wow! How spot on that is! Well the latest is that there is nothing wrong with colluding with a hostile foreign government to get dirt on an opponent! That's the new spin Trump et al are giving what Donald John Jr did. Doofus John Jr. "Everybody does it". "There is nothing criminal about it". We KNOW that is bullsh**! How did a country go from recognizing Russia as a great hostile threat to inviting  Russia into all their beds to cavort, frolic, play and have its way with them? I never thought it would be possible to fool so many people Shar. Maybe I am giving Doofus too much credit. Maybe these folks always were waiting for someone exactly  like him to take over and he had nothing to do with changing their characters. They were always that way. SIGH. Thank you for your reply and the wonderful graphic. What Doofus Don/Donald John does will always be okay with them. There is nothing he will ever do that will cause them to abandon him. He can rape/murder/torture anyone he chooses and  they will stick by him and say "they deserved it". It will get much worse. Happy Friday! :)
      July 14, 2017 2:10 AM MDT