Active Now

DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » If a disabled person wants to die. Should it be allowed?

If a disabled person wants to die. Should it be allowed?

http://news10.com/2016/07/19/14-year-old-wisconsin-girl-makes-decision-to-die/

Posted - July 20, 2016

Responses

• I would apply the same reasoning to this situation as to a person who is not disabled.

I am a member of EXIT and agree with its ethics.

I favour legal, carefully and strictly supervised euthanasia

when there is pain that cannot be remedied by drugs (5% of all severe pain conditions), 

when a terminal disease has reached a point where the loss of quality of life is unendurable

or when a person is in a vegetative state, unconscious, and unable to recover.

I have worked as a volunteer with quadriplegics.

The slowly deteriorating health conditions are heart-breaking to watch and smell.

It is very easy to see why such conditions can cause suicidal depression.

And yet, the same still applies as to non-disabled people.

Most depression can be successfully treated with the right mix of therapies and, if necessary, drugs.

It is still possible to find joy, purpose and fulfillment in life even with severe disabilities.

July 20, 2016 11:42 PM MDT

Oh wow. She's so young. She isn't just disabled. She's in constant pain and isn't going to get better. I think it's cruel to prolong her suffering if she wants to go. There are other disabilities that aren't like that, so I don't have a firm stance across the board, but in her case, it's very sad. 

July 21, 2016 12:27 AM MDT

No.  It should not.  Why do they want to die?  Being disabled does not merit dying.   It merits an attitude adjustment.  People who are blind do not kill themselves over it unless they have severe depression  That needs to be addressed and taken care of.  Then the desire to die fades when hope is renewed.  Suicide is the belief that there is no hope.  Only someone in chronic dire pain that is not going to go away, should have that choice. Most everything else is cured with time.  That is life.  We live and grow and learn and the most hideous trials often bear the greatest rewards. That which does not kill us, oftentimes brings release from former worries over what really matters in life.

July 21, 2016 12:44 AM MDT

• DJAM - please read what's below the question and check out the link offered by grilledcheesegirl -

http://news10.com/2016/07/19/14-year-old-wisconsin-girl-makes-decis...

July 21, 2016 1:14 AM MDT

I think she addressed that with "Only someone in chronic dire pain that is not going to go away, should have that choice."

July 21, 2016 1:39 AM MDT

• You're right JA. I spoke inappropriately.

To DJAM, I apologise.

July 21, 2016 1:46 AM MDT

• Poor girl.  Life can be oh-so-cruel sometimes.  :(  

Suicide hasn't been a criminal offence here since 1961, so it's already allowed.  There are penalties for aiding and assisting however, and I believe these should remain essentially unchanged.  That would include the possible reasons for not prosecuting.

From https://www.cps.gov.uk/publications/prosecution/assisted_suicide_policy.html

1. Public interest factors tending against prosecution

2. A prosecution is less likely to be required if:
      1. the victim had reached a voluntary, clear, settled and informed decision to commit suicide;
      2. the suspect was wholly motivated by compassion;
      3. the actions of the suspect, although sufficient to come within the definition of the offence, were of only minor encouragement or assistance;
      4. the suspect had sought to dissuade the victim from taking the course of action which resulted in his or her suicide;
      5. the actions of the suspect may be characterised as reluctant encouragement or assistance in the face of a determined wish on the part of the victim to commit suicide;
      6. the suspect reported the victim's suicide to the police and fully assisted them in their enquiries into the circumstances of the suicide or the attempt and his or her part in providing encouragement or assistance.
      July 21, 2016 3:25 AM MDT

I totally agree with this post.

July 21, 2016 3:41 AM MDT

• After reading I think yes she has earnt that right ... The shame is there is no alternative to offer her
      July 21, 2016 4:30 AM MDT

July 21, 2016 7:04 AM MDT

I'm torn on this matter. I have been disabled (although not severely ) since birth. I lived through the struggles and came out stronger because of it.

BUT, this last year I was diagnosed with COPD, although it is not severe enough to need oxygen or a respirator, unless I become ill and cannot breathe. But, I do know COPD can get very serious. 

Life is precious and worth fighting for, BUT if I ever needed to be on a machine to breathe for me for an extended time or one to keep me alive I would rather my family let me go in peace.  

I have discussed this with my family so they will not be burdened with making the choice. My Living Will says it all.

July 21, 2016 7:22 AM MDT

July 21, 2016 9:43 AM MDT

July 21, 2016 9:44 AM MDT

• My heart for you. I understand. Tears rolling.

July 21, 2016 3:02 PM MDT

• I support you.
      July 21, 2016 3:10 PM MDT
  • D&D

Certainly. Forcing life (or extending) upon a human being is evil, when you do so with no consent.

July 21, 2016 3:11 PM MDT

Sure.  It´s the person´s life.  If she/he feels is impossible to go on living under those circumstances they should be able to decide when to end it.

July 21, 2016 10:04 PM MDT