Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Jeff Bezos (Amazon) was just named the richest person in the world. Would internet billionaires be billionaires without computers? How?

Jeff Bezos (Amazon) was just named the richest person in the world. Would internet billionaires be billionaires without computers? How?

Posted - July 27, 2017

Responses

Well they would not be called internet billionares for one thing.

Also, who is to know what paths their lives would have taken otherwise.

I think that billionaires have some idea as to how to become rich and wealthy.  If the opportunity aries, they have the connections and the ability to rise to the occasion.

That is all I know. 
      July 27, 2017 9:01 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday. Yes. I  know they would not be internet billionaires. Would they be billionaires anyway in other fields?
      July 28, 2017 2:16 AM MDT

i dont think so
      July 27, 2017 3:29 PM MDT

By pure definition, obviously not; but to become so rich demands certain abilities to see and take the right opportunities and choices; so some of them at least may well have made their fortunes in other ways. 
      July 27, 2017 5:04 PM MDT

That was the question I asked. Without internet or computers existing  would those who became billionaires in that area be billionaires in other areas? How many billionaires are there BECAUSE OF computers/internet activities? Thank you for your reply Durdle and Happy Friday.
      July 28, 2017 2:14 AM MDT

Ah, I see. Probably very few as the trade is dominated by just a handful of big companies like Microsoft, Amazon, Facebook, Google and Apple, and so far at least nobody has really succeeded in breaking their near-monopoly. Unfortunately. Their founders have scooped vast fortunes, but I do not suppose many others have become anywhere near that rich from the Internet.

Some have done well for themselves by selling their creations or companies to the likes of the above; but few if any have made even a few million $ or £ from the sales.
      July 28, 2017 5:06 AM MDT

Do you think we shall see any trillionaires in the near term Durdle? If so in what field(s) might they appear first? Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      August 5, 2017 2:57 AM MDT

Good question... I hate to think! My worry is not how much they earn - or at least, pay themselves - but their increasing monopoly.

Happy Weekend to you too!
      August 5, 2017 11:29 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply and the compliment. I appreciate both. Happy Sunday Durdle! :)
      August 6, 2017 2:28 AM MDT

That's so 4-hours ago.

Amazon stock dipped a bit before the market closed and Microsoft rebounded a skosh so Bill is back in the driver's seat again.
      July 27, 2017 5:07 PM MDT

I don't suppose it bothered Our Jeff though - he's already made his money ! :-) 
      July 27, 2017 5:21 PM MDT

I doubt that either he or Bill are worried about what they can afford for breakfast in the morning.
      July 27, 2017 8:53 PM MDT