Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Do you ever get annoyed with Subway or do you love it? Why?

Do you ever get annoyed with Subway or do you love it? Why?

I never really understood the concept of Subway.
Every other fast food restaurant I go to has their menu options displayed above the counter and I just select the meal I would like and they make it, I eat it, end of story.
At Subway I see pictures of food on the wall and I go up to the counter and point to the sub, salad or whatever I see and say "I'll have that one please?"
The worker just looks at me with a blank stare as if they've never heard of it before.
He has a bun or a salad bowl in his hand and says "Tell me what you want?"
I point to the picture and say "Make that please, you know just like the picture?"
He just says "Tell me what you want on it?"
I say "How you made it in the picture looks good, just do that please?"
He repeats "What do you want?" Then he just starts putting a bunch of stuff in the salad bowl and it looks nothing like the picture and tastes terrible, LoL.
I always felt like if I knew how to make a good sub I would go home and make it.
Why would I go to out to eat and just design some half assed sub on the fly?
I feel like I have to do research before I can order food at Subway.
My ex wife used to always order it for me anytime we would eat there and whatever she selected was wonderful.
Now I go to Subway and I'm screwed!!!!

Posted - August 11, 2017

Responses

This is a very thorough opinion of Subway but I absolutely agree, haha. It always feels like I'm just walking into someone's kitchen and asking them to make me a sandwich with week-old ingredients from their fridge.
      August 11, 2017 12:30 AM MDT

My boyfriend used to say that everything tasted like cutting board. Even the soda tastes like fake lunch meat.
      August 11, 2017 12:39 AM MDT

Wow, that's absolutely accurate. Like a damp cutting board. Nice.
      August 11, 2017 12:48 AM MDT

• Yes, thank you!
    They have such beautiful images of food on the wall I just want them to make it, take my money and leave me alone, LoL!
    I need a new girlfriend who loves Subway to help me order.: (

August 11, 2017 12:40 AM MDT

Hahaha, you just need a fast food place that doesn't need any input from you. ;) That would definitely limit your options though... Do you feel the same way about places like Chipotle or Qdoba? :O
      August 11, 2017 12:49 AM MDT

• Honestly I don't even pay attention to the names of the places a lot of the time or I just don't remember.
    I go to a good court and there's a Japanese food counter I like.
    I order a chop chop bowl with chicken.
    All she asks me is "Do you want double the chicken?"
    When they're done cooking it in front of me she says "Want sauce?"
    That's about as technical as it ever got any other place.
    I can handle like two multiple choice questions at the most from these places.
    1.Chicken crispy or grilled?
    2.what kind of sauce?
    Here are your options.

August 11, 2017 1:08 AM MDT

That makes sense, honestly. You like things simple! https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/tough-choices-how-making/ Choices are exhausting. :)
      August 11, 2017 1:11 AM MDT

• Yes, I think my brain is tired from all the overwhelming sh_t in my life so when I go to eat I just want one thing to be straight forward.
    Oh well, all I have to do is give in to Subway's bullsh_t, think of what I would like and do it their way, I guess?
    I figure that I better get this Subway phobia conquered in case I meet someone.
    It could be an issue if she doesn't want to pick out a sub for me.
    I'm gonna work on designing the best sandwich in history.

August 11, 2017 1:33 AM MDT

Lol..... so you're challenged by the concept of "what do you want on your sandwich?"

August 11, 2017 12:44 AM MDT

• I liked whatever my wife brought me and I thought we would be together forever and I thought I had  the Subway issue under control.
    Now it's a whole new world and coincidentally one if the guys she cheated with she met at a Subway so I really hate that fu**ing place now, LoL!
      August 11, 2017 1:18 AM MDT

Well that makes even more sense now, haha. F that guy and F that sandwich place.
      August 11, 2017 8:49 PM MDT

• Thank you. : )
      August 11, 2017 8:55 PM MDT

LMAO I love Subway. I guess if you aren't a picky eater, it's more work, but there are a lot of foods I don't like, so it's nice to be able to pick and choose without spending five years prepping. My kiddos like it too, but they're weird. They only ever get meatballs on their subs. 
      August 11, 2017 1:00 AM MDT

This reminds me of a particular incident where I was out to dinner with my cousin and his young children. The oldest absolutely refused to eat the meatballs on his plate and said he was allergic (which was of course false), which then started pandemonium among the younger three. Meatballs on the floor and gravy all over clothes... Not a pretty sight, LOL.
      August 11, 2017 1:07 AM MDT

• All I need is like a list of ingredients from you sometime.
    Then I can just take my phone with me and read it off to them.
    I'm not picky, whatever sandwich you like, I'll like too.
    Please????
      August 11, 2017 1:12 AM MDT

LMAO I have a feeling if I listed off everything I add to my subs, the list would overwhelm you. 

I can see you at the Subway counter now... "Hold on one second. I need to call a friend. JA? Are you there? Will you tell them what I want to eat?"

You get a plain meatball sub, just like the other kids. ;) 
      August 11, 2017 1:39 AM MDT

• LoL!
    Now I'm obsessed with this.
    I never want to go into Subway anymore, but if I do and I have  girlfriend I want to be the fu__ing best at ordering there.
    Those Subway workers better be ready and on their toes for the masterful, beautiful sub that I will demand!!
    I'm gonna figure this out using google somehow or I'll just have a meatball sub or just plain ham and cheese like my son.
    He orders his, gets his cookie and waits while the Subway worker and I stare at each other mad, LoL!
    I should just get my son to order for me actually. : )
      August 11, 2017 1:49 AM MDT

https://www.subway.com/en-ca/menunutrition/menu/breadsandtoppings
      August 11, 2017 9:41 AM MDT

• "No"  Not all Subway stores are the same and I'm glad that eating at a Subway is not mandatory. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at August 11, 2017 9:19 AM MDT
      August 11, 2017 1:29 AM MDT

• I don't go too the local Subway very often but the times I have I have never had a problem with the wait staff or the food. The wait staff is friendly and helpful and the food is fresh and quite good.
      August 11, 2017 2:05 AM MDT

• Maybe it was just the guy at my local Subway that irritated me?
    You would think that an experienced, kind Subway employee would recognize when a person comes in that doesn't usually eat at Subway and try to make it as painless as possible by being helpful and suggesting options that typically go together or if he's really nice he might just say "I've got you sir"and just make me something edible, take my money and say "Have a nice day."
    Instead I get a guy who acts like it's against the law to help me with my selection or tell me what he likes?
    Maybe I'll try a different Subway next time and I'll just be straight up with them and tell them to help me.

August 11, 2017 9:07 AM MDT

• I have come across some rude people in the food industry so I can relate to the problem you had. I'm just thankful that this particular Subway does a good job.
      August 16, 2017 2:21 AM MDT

I have exactly the same opinion of Subway. I have no problem in a restaurant where I can tell them to 'hold the pickle' or put on some extra mayo. but having to start from scratch while holding up a line of people who know what they want is not my thing. 
      August 11, 2017 4:55 AM MDT

• Me neither.
    Thank you. : )
      August 11, 2017 9:09 AM MDT