Active Now

Danilo_G
Thebigd
Discussion » Questions » History » Confederate General Robert E. Lee has become a symbol of racial expression. The planned removal of his statue caused the violence. Worth it?

Confederate General Robert E. Lee has become a symbol of racial expression. The planned removal of his statue caused the violence. Worth it?

Have the Confederacy protesters planned any statues commemorating lynchings? An empty noose hanging from a tree perhaps? In bronze?  Gruesome you say? To whom? To the racist hateful KKK who went out of their way to experience it multiple times while hiding under sheets? Doubtful.

Posted - August 14, 2017

Responses

Taking a statue down is a lame attempt. 

He existed.  He was real.  Just because there is a structure made to look like him does not mean he is automatically revered.

Better to erase the hate and idiocy behind racism than trying to put a band-aid over the problem by denying history.
      August 14, 2017 9:29 AM MDT

It's just another pendulum swinging Shar. It it is stationary going nowhere. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday.
      August 15, 2017 5:14 AM MDT

violence is never worth it
      August 14, 2017 10:28 AM MDT

• General Lee has been on the receiving end of slander and vilification because there are people searching for anything, or anybody, at any time to use as rationale to foment strife, discord, violence and thuggery in the street. Lee was part of the fabric of the nation's history. We've all known about the American Civil War for 150 years, yet, suddenly it has become a catalyst for unlawful behavior. I'm not sure that I buy it. If our sensibilities are so tender as to resort to all of this, then perhaps we should distance ourselves from Washington, Jefferson and others before we have a collective nervous breakdown. Perhaps we should remove all symbols, icons and memorials connected to the wars we fought as a reunited nation. In fairness, if we can't have one chapter of history, warts and all, then we should take preventive measures that World Wars I and II, Korea and Vietnam do not touch our sensibilities in an adverse way. Here's the way it is folks, Racism and bigotry, rebellion and lawlessness have never needed an excuse to put it in the street. What it does crave is attention and some sort of perverse sympathy. In all of this, Lee doesn't get the credit he deserves for being an influential voice of reason and moderation in the post war years. But then, neither do all those ex-Confederates who served as governors, Congressmen, legislators, judges and ambassadors, as well as officers in the US Army. If the whole mess weren't so totally repulsive and demeaning, divisive and polarizing, tragic and shameful, it would be the basis of some comic opera. Also, although we do enjoy a degree of freedom in the area of expression, I did take exception to Black Panther Tee shirt worn by the Vice Mayor of Charlotte. 
      August 14, 2017 2:39 PM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful and thought-provoking reply in response to my question G. I appreciate it. Happy Tuesday to thee! :)
      August 15, 2017 5:13 AM MDT

• As always you exhibit strong bias in your posts. His statue should not be removed. It has stood for decades, but it has just now become a focus for a mini-civil war that can all to easily lead to a full-scale civil war. Political correctness allows minorities to tyrannize everyone in such manner. There should be a vote on the matter by all citizens of the USA, rather than a few tyrants doing as they please. When tyrants arise, people will rebel against them. There was a protest and an anti-protest that should never be present. You should find the actual people responsible for violence. "There are more things ... than are dreamed of in your quite narrow view, Rosie!"
      September 5, 2017 12:30 PM MDT