Active Now

Shuhak
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » History » Germany could have honored/venerated Gas Ovens and Concentration Camps to preserve their history. They didn't. Classy country isn't it?

Germany could have honored/venerated Gas Ovens and Concentration Camps to preserve their history. They didn't. Classy country isn't it?

Posted - August 18, 2017

Responses

I don't think they need to honor it, but a reminder could not hurt.  Those who do not study history nor remember it, are doomed to repeat it.

So, they should NEVER forget. 

But what is worse?  Waking up in a concentration camp (probably worse) or waking up in a slave shack knowing you may be raped or beaten that day.  Or worse. 

Glorifying the Civil War or anything to do with supporting racism is another story.  Remember, but do NOT glorify pigs who profited from the misery and enslavement of their fellow men. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at August 18, 2017 11:58 AM MDT
      August 18, 2017 8:50 AM MDT

• You greatly oversimplify the issues involved. Do not glorify vampires who profited from keeping the Confederacy in the Union. 
      September 5, 2017 11:40 AM MDT

Yes they did.

Places like Dachau, Auschwitz-Birkenau and Sachsenhausen-Oranienburg still stand as memorials. Even those that have been razed, places like Treblinka, Bergen-Belsen, Flossenbürg have commemorative memorials standing in their former locations. That's so no one should forget the horrors . . .
      August 18, 2017 9:13 AM MDT

The Germans are a pretty ok people... Many don't understand that Brits don't hate them...  Generally speaking we understand that the Nazis aren't the German people and that much of what happened was beyond the control of most ordinary German people. They were under a dictatorship, many of them were scared and some of them even tried to help Jews escape. 

They don't seem to honour it all for sure.. but neither do they forget.. They acknowledge but in as dignified a way as possible.
      August 18, 2017 3:31 PM MDT

There are no statues of Hitler in Germany. All Nazi symbols are banned. I believe they have a memorial to the holocaust there. I think the people are very dignified. I wonder how many neo-Nazis there are in Germany Addb? There are far too many in America. Thank you for your thoughtful reply! :)
      August 21, 2017 6:20 AM MDT

• Antifa are nazi terrorists. 
      September 5, 2017 11:42 AM MDT

• You've never been to one of these places have you Rosie? It's very obvious or you wouldn't have posted this.  I went to Dachau, there are the ovens and even the stretchers used to throw the bodies into the ovens.  There is a notice as you go in asking that you behave with dignity and remember that this is a place of memorial and a reminder of the people who lost their lives there.  A convent has been built right next to Dachau with the nuns praying that this may never happen again. 

The Germans did have to destroy the barracks they were in such horrific condition but they preserved as much as they could of this place of evil.  They could have destroyed all evidence but they chose to make a memorial out of it.

I don't know that it could be termed classy but the Germans acknowledged the evil that was done by preserving these camps and admitting how wrong they were. 
      August 18, 2017 11:15 PM MDT

No I haven't. But I relate to the Jewish People as we have a common history of genocide in our past. The Jews lost 6 million people at the hands of the Nazis in gas ovens and other ways. The Armenian people lost 1.5 million Armenians at the hands of the Turks on death marches. My great grandfather, great grandmother and 2-year-old aunt Anne were among them. My grandfather, grandmother and mother who was an infant escaped to Paris and my great grandparents and aunt Anne were to follow immediately thereafter. They never made it out. The people died from starvation and thirst on those death marches. So  while I have not directly experienced it I am not a stranger to it. I know what HATE does at its very worst. I know what EVIL is. Thank you for your reply Yf and Happy Solar Eclipse Day. This post was edited by RosieG at August 21, 2017 6:25 AM MDT
      August 21, 2017 6:25 AM MDT