Discussion » Questions » Relationships » What does it take for you to "know" someone? Meeting face-to-face? Can you "know" folks you never meet? What does "knowing" someone mean?

What does it take for you to "know" someone? Meeting face-to-face? Can you "know" folks you never meet? What does "knowing" someone mean?

Posted - August 25, 2017

Responses

LOL I wish you could have been there at the airport when I first saw Old School.

I knew it was him because he had on a tie dye I mailed him.

When you talk to someone for years, you get to know them pretty well.  Of course, I know him much better now, but I do not know him like YOU do.

You knew him when he was growing up till now.  That is a whole history I have no knowledge of.  So KNOWING is relative.

I cannot say I KNOW him to the extent that I can wax profoundly about him, but I do KNOW him. 
      August 25, 2017 11:32 AM MDT

When you can wax profoundly, does that leave you completely hairless?
      August 25, 2017 1:59 PM MDT

What you say is true. We met when he was 17. He was a runner and belonged to the Track Team in high school and our apartment was across the street from Chatsworth high. I'd get home from work and he'd be waiting at the top of the steps for me. When Rich came home he'd take Old School home. We have a VERY long history of friendship that has built over the years. Many memories...almost all of them good. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday.
      August 26, 2017 1:53 AM MDT

Old School never accepted my freind request. I respect a man who can read. hahahahahahhah

August 25, 2017 1:51 PM MDT

He definetely WOULD but?  He cannot.  He is not allowed on here. 
      August 25, 2017 1:53 PM MDT

I promise on my hubbys grave, i had nothing to do with that. ;+
      August 25, 2017 2:00 PM MDT

On his behalf he never accepted any friend requests cp. He inadvertently accepted mine and told me it was inadvertent and I've known him for quite a few decades. He said he wouldn't undo what was done. That was on Answerbag many years ago. Don't take it personally. He just had a thing about stuff like that. Didn't see the point in it. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday! :)
      August 26, 2017 1:57 AM MDT

I was joking, i dont know what your talking about RosieG. Who is this He guy? I could care less about freinds requests. I just ask anyone and everyone to be mine just to see how many i can collect. lol
      August 26, 2017 2:01 AM MDT

Apologies for butting in. I had no idea you were joking cp. I assumed you were answering my question and talking to me. Clearly you were talking to Shar.  I shall have to be more careful futurely.
      August 26, 2017 2:08 AM MDT

Talking, joking around, not necessarily meeting or anything, thats not a criteria for me.  Yes i can really know someone ive never met in person if we have been talking for a long extended period of time. I can sense things too, screen out the serial killers, (if im no in the mood) and dismiss the negative Nancys.  In fact, i prefer meeting my friends on the internet because its so much easier to walk away from the ones that dont suit your  by just clicking onto another page/subject/topic. You cant do that  in real life. And besides, how else can you have a great social life and be totally naked at the same time without anyone complaining about it.
      August 25, 2017 1:58 PM MDT

I've complained plenty but unfortunately it's not against the TOS for you to have your whole business hanging out.
      August 25, 2017 2:01 PM MDT

My drawers are an open book LyricalOne.....
      August 25, 2017 2:11 PM MDT

Of course Nudists don't have a problem with that!  My favorite thing about being on an internet social site is that I have friends all over the world whom I would never meet in a zillion years since I never go anywhere! The only disadvantage is time zone differences. I have a good friend in Australia whom I met on Answerbag. I think he is 17 hours ahead of me or something. Friends in England and Canada and other exotic places as well and when I was on Answerbag I had a really good friend who moved from Hawaii to Japan. But he is not here so we've lost touch. I "know" folks well enough on  Answermug that I choose with whom to chat. I avoid those who make me feel bad, are insulting or rude or just general smartalecks. It's nice because I'm in complete control here but of course in real life you can't always be in control. I have a dear friend whom I met on Answerbag with whom I keep in touch regularly via email. Thank you for your reply cp and Happy Saturday to thee. On Answermug I have total power. In real life? Not so much! :)
      August 26, 2017 2:03 AM MDT

• What does it take for me to get to know someone?
    I just like to read people's questions and reactions to a wide variety of questions.
    I start to understand how they think and eventually from their posts I get an idea of what they look like too.
    These Q&A sites can be an interesting way to connect with people.

August 25, 2017 10:48 PM MDT

You can form an opinion about what people look like from internet posts? Wow. I don't have a clue! There are folks to whom I'm drawn with whom I always have good conversations. I always look forward to having them answer questions. There are folks whom I avoid because there is no point to interacting with them for me. It's trial and error. You win some, you lose some and you move on! Thank you for your reply Truthseeker and Happy Saturday m'dear! :)
      August 26, 2017 2:06 AM MDT

• I guess it takes a while, but if I really get along with certain people and I gravitate toward their posts then they kinda start leaving clues about their appearance eventually and it's part of the fun to find out who they are and what they look like.
    Having some kind of connection with a person you've never seen is interesting.
    Your personalities match, but maybe you would never approach each other in real life.
    It's a very pure way to get to know someone.
    I have part of my face on my profile now so it isn't as anonymous anymore, but I hide enough that it's still kinda mysterious I guess?
    Thanks and happy Saturday to you too RosieG.
    : )

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at August 29, 2017 6:08 AM MDT
      August 26, 2017 8:17 AM MDT

I am known to be notoriously oblivious to my surroundings by my family/friends m'dear. D'ya know what? I just now noticed your picture under your moniker. BAD ROSIE! Jim says it's because I'm always thinking about many things simultaneously so my ability to "notice"  my surroundings is diminished because of it. Isn't he a sweetheart? Instead of criticizing me for it he makes excuses for me! My Jim grows a mustache and beard from time to time. I have no preference. I just think he is a handsome dude clean-shaven or bearded. I bet you are too! Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Tuesday Truthseeker! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 29, 2017 9:43 AM MDT
      August 29, 2017 6:10 AM MDT

• No problem Rosie, thanks.
    I think you probably do think about a lot of things simultaneously.
    Your questions are kinda amazing at times really.
    I know we all get sick of Trump and anything to do with him, but the way you word your questions is always interesting and some what poetic at times.
    I am intrigued by your mind because even though the Trump questions are excessive it's not easy to think of that much legitimate content the way you do. It's actually very impressive.
    You are incredibly intelligent I think.
    Thanks. : )

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at September 10, 2017 4:10 AM MDT
      August 29, 2017 9:43 AM MDT

Very sweet and kind of you to say those things Truthseeker. I will tell you what sets me off. LIES, HYPOCRISY and NONSENSE. The way my mind works is very logical. So when I see words put together than make absolutely no sense, or words that contradict something the person is on tape saying, or flat-out lies that have been shown to be lies but keep being repeated over and over again I ask questions about it. If the Doofus would stop lying I'd stop having to point them out. If the Doofus would stop making things up, getting things wrong, screwing around with the safety and well-being of our country I'd have nothing to question. When he stops I shall stop. Not before then. He is the driver of all of this and anytime he wants it to stop he can start telling the truth or SHUT UP!  I ask questions that occur to me Truthseeker. If I don't ask them they nag at me and badger me until I do. Questions need asking. Whether they can be answered or not I still have to ask them for my own peace of mind. It drives some folks nuts. That is not my problem. They don't have to read or answer them. My questions are all ignorable. Why the complainers and insulters and attackers don't   ignore me I have no idea. Some folks feel exactly the same as I do so we have something to discuss. Others appreciate that I point things out because they may have missed them or not be up-to-date on them. Others can disagree with cordiality and we have something to discuss. It's entirely up to them and what they bring to me. I just show up every day and do my thing. What others do is entirely up to them. They are responsible for what they do/say or don't do/don't say and it is none of my business! I am responsible for everything I put on line every day. And so it goes. Hope your day is full of happy surprises m'dear! :)
      September 10, 2017 4:23 AM MDT