Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Ban. Bar. Censor. Restrict. Who decides what's fit to say on an internet social site and what isn't? Based on what? Religion/politics?

Ban. Bar. Censor. Restrict. Who decides what's fit to say on an internet social site and what isn't? Based on what? Religion/politics?

Posted - August 26, 2017

Responses

It depends on the nature and aims of the individual web-site, but in a democratic country the controls and policies are normally set by the sites' own administrators, perhaps helped by users' peer-pressure.

The big problem comes with material that may be illegal, or bordering on illegal, but to different degrees in different countries. I left Experience Project because it was becoming infested with people advocating very murky practices including cruelty to children, and it struck me that had it been British rather than American based, its owners may have risked legal action - if not prosecution then certainly demands to remove such material and users. EP subsequently closed down anyway, though for commercial reasons. 
      September 2, 2017 4:41 PM MDT

I think there is a market and an audience for anything and everything. There is even a market for Man-boy love which advocates pedophilia. On Answerbag long ago it came up. I believe the monsters who advocate it were very serious which I think is disgusting but different strokes. I guess the microcosmic society of a particular internet social site determines the nature of it. The BIG BOSS who oversees it all is the decider and can boot people for whatever whenever and doesn't need to answer to anyone SIGH. I never visited EP. I would not have lasted there. I believe those who are cruel to children should be subject to indescribable unremitting relentless never-ending horror. I shall not go into here but I'm sure you can fill in the blanks. Those who advocate it and defend it? I am once again censoring myself. Thank you for your reply Durdle. I am constantly amazed at the depravity of homo sapiens. What they justify as being 'OK" is quite often horrific and nauseating. It is all they know. DNA in action? Thank  you for your reply. This post was edited by RosieG at September 3, 2017 3:46 AM MDT
      September 3, 2017 3:44 AM MDT

Rosie, I should point out that the worst parts of EP were a minority. The web-site consisted of a set of separate forums on all sorts of topics, and most were totally innocent.

There were many buffoons using it, such as those (probably teenagers) who liked to imagine they were wolves; but they were harmless.

There were also a lot of threads on religion and superstition, and these encouraged a rather nasty form of on-line bullying as well as despairing accounts by escapees from assorted cults.

DNA in action? No. DNA is a chemical code that controls the structure of an individual cell. It does not determine behaviour except perhaps in any genetic condition that itself may affect brain function.     
      September 3, 2017 4:22 AM MDT