Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » Do you support boycotts, bans, censorship? If so is there anything that should be exempt or is everything on the table to be punished?

Do you support boycotts, bans, censorship? If so is there anything that should be exempt or is everything on the table to be punished?

Final authority. Judgment. You don't like it? Boycott it.  Ban it.  Censor it.  Silence it. Simple isn't it? Except who gets to decide that? Not everyone agrees. What happens then? Might makes right? Whomever has the power uses it and screw what others think? The American way?   Seems so.

Posted - August 26, 2017

Responses

Only to protect children. Beyond that, I don't.
      August 26, 2017 6:04 AM MDT

I totally agree with thee on that Sbf.   As it is kids these days get so much CRAP and AWFUL and DISGUSTING thrown at them..sadly sometimes their parents are the source. Like the RACIST mommydearest and daddydearest who brings up little Johnny or Janie to despise anyone that isn't WHITE and not Jewish. Poor kids. They need to be protected from their parents but who is gonna do that? Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 27, 2017 4:18 AM MDT

• I favor boycotts. Some of my USA friends boycott Meryl Streep, Kathy Griffin, Madonna, George Clooney, Starbucks, CNN, MSNBC, The View, New York Times, Washington Post, Playboy, Rolling Stone, Colin Kaepernick and his cronies, ESPN, NFL, BLM and other offensive items. That is a person's right. The media deceives people and arouses frenzies, so it should be forced to stop doing that. Freedom of speech and freedom of the press are badly abused. Financial losses will cause such offenders to be more discreet.  
    Bans covers a wide area. Some things must be banned if they are extremely detructive, Cigarettes and some religions are quite harmful to all.
    Some censorship is necessary when it involves stopping things that incite killing, sedition and other crimes. We do not need puritans trying to force their overly-strict and unrealistic ideas upon us, of course. 
    Reasonable control is necessary on everything that can be abused, and that covers everything. Achieving this idealistic goal is difficult. 
    We saw what you discuss at work at Charlottesville, Virginia recently. A minority is indulged excessively, so statues that have stood a century are demolished. Some people protest that, and anti-protesters arrive and cause a conflict. Minorities have no right to tyrannize the majority. Political Correctness allows that. 
      August 27, 2017 1:07 PM MDT