Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » The Pleides Star Cluster ( aka 7 Sisters, Messier 45) has played a part in many ancient religions. It is in the Bible too. Why?

The Pleides Star Cluster ( aka 7 Sisters, Messier 45) has played a part in many ancient religions. It is in the Bible too. Why?

JOB 9:8-9.

Posted - August 27, 2017

Responses

It is bright and quite visible to anyone interested; the ancients did that a lot with astronomical phenomena. Only they know why. A bit of trivia for you. The Japanese word for the cluster is Subaru. Look at the chrome oval plate on the rear of a Subaru vehicle.
      August 27, 2017 7:30 AM MDT

I shall the next time I see one.  Thank you for your reply Ele! :)
      August 29, 2017 4:03 AM MDT

I don't believe it's in the Bible, but Jehovah's Witnesses believed that God's throne dwelled in the Alcyone Star System in the Pleiades Group. The Bible doesn't explain much about astronomy.
      August 27, 2017 8:50 PM MDT

I listed the location in the question anti b . Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday to thee. It is Job 9:8-9.
      August 29, 2017 4:03 AM MDT

Quote: "I don't believe it's in the Bible, but..."
    Perhaps you should read the Bible and then you might be better qualified to ridicule other peoples beliefs like you always do. Misunderstanding by some pale in comparison to atrocities committed by your Church, yes?
      August 29, 2017 5:47 PM MDT

Depending on translation, yes. 

Job 9:9 (NKJV) He made the Bear, Orion, and the Pleiades, And the chambers of the south;

Job 38:31 (NKJV) “Can you bind the cluster of the Pleiades, Or loose the belt of Orion?

Amo 5:8 (NKJV) He made the Pleiades and Orion; He turns the shadow of death into morning And makes the day dark as night; He calls for the waters of the sea And pours them out on the face of the earth; The LORD is His name.

(Job 9:7-9) He commands the sun not to shine And seals off the light of the stars;  8 He spreads out the heavens by himself, And he treads upon the high waves of the sea.  9 He made the Ash, the Keʹsil, and the Kiʹmah constellations, And the constellations of the southern sky;
    (Job 38:31) Can you tie the ropes of the Kiʹmah constellation Or untie the cords of the Keʹsil constellation?
    (Amos 5:8) The One who made the Kiʹmah constellation and the Keʹsil constellation, The One who turns deep shadow into morning, The One who makes day as dark as night, The One who summons the waters of the sea To pour them out on the surface of the earth —Jehovah is his name.
    Footnote: Possibly the Pleiades stars in the Taurus constellation.

A little more info:
    Since Pleiades are in the way from Earth to the center of the Milky Way, many scientists believed the center of the universe was within that star cluster. Some in the past reasoned that would be the logical place where God's throne was located, in the center of everything and controlling everything. Of course that was a wrong assumption. At that time astronomers didn't even know there were other galaxies besides ours (Hubble's discovery of the Andromeda galaxy was first published in 1929), so the widespread scientific consensus at the time was that the whole universe revolved around the Milky Way's center. They were relying upon the most up-to-date and trustworthy scientific publications of the time, the same as when people quote some encyclopedia or scientific magazine today.
      August 29, 2017 11:42 AM MDT