Active Now

Slartibartfast
Malizz
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » We like to think our family is in our corner. On our side. Watching our backs. Is yours?

We like to think our family is in our corner. On our side. Watching our backs. Is yours?

Some families are so dysfunctional they're the ones who are most dangerous. Because you don't expect attacks from your own flesh and blood. You'd think relatives, even more so than friends, would protect one another. Wouldn't you?

Posted - August 30, 2017

Responses

• "Yes. I trained them well and they love me ... unless I'm broke, of course."
    "Well ... you know what they say about assuming!"
      August 30, 2017 7:07 AM MDT

That is one of my all-time favorite tricks on a word.  Assume!  What a kick!  My Grammie taught me that years ago.  Amazingly, like all the tricks of the English language she taught me, it holds true.  
    If you were broken, ALF, I would most definitely look after you without question.
    :) :)
      August 30, 2017 9:28 AM MDT

• (broke = without money)  "Without question" ... sounds wonderful!! :))
      August 30, 2017 9:34 AM MDT

You might want to look for that coin from a money magician.  I work better with living creatures and the Earth.  However,  if you had broken the bank,  I would still share  my last 2 pennies. ;) This post was edited by Merlin at August 30, 2017 10:00 AM MDT
      August 30, 2017 9:54 AM MDT

How ARE YA Alf? Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday to thy! :)
      August 11, 2018 4:14 AM MDT

The great members of my family are dead.  There are no members I care to speak to any more that are left.

August 30, 2017 7:10 AM MDT

I'm so sorry to hear that Sharon. Well I have my baby sister Carol and her husband Terry both of whom I adore. Sadly they live 500 miles away. Then we have the sons and their wives though they are spread around from Honolulu to Fernley, Nevada to Buckeye, Arizona. But we talk on the phone and the Buckeye son and daughter-in-law visited us for a couple of days recently. There is email of course and the telephone but hugging can only be done face-to-face. I know you have a very best female friend and others of whom you are fond as they are fond of you. SIGH. I wish life were perfecter. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      August 11, 2018 4:22 AM MDT

Wellll, let's look at it this way.  I know my blood family loves me unconditionally.  There never has been a doubt in my mind.  About raising me and the tactics they used are questionable.  Big smiles to you.  Most teenagers might feel the same way.  They were strict.
    On the flip side, I believe family isn't all about blood and flesh.  I believe family is a unity of people that you have taken into your life and wanted to share.
    Sometimes, my blood family wasn't always in agreement with my adopted family.  As confusing as that may be, Yes.  I feel they were all looking out for my best interest. This post was edited by Merlin at August 30, 2017 11:20 AM MDT
      August 30, 2017 9:13 AM MDT

Lucky you. I expect you already know that. Thank you for your reply Merlin and Happy Wednesday! :)
      August 30, 2017 11:20 AM MDT

I'm afraid not. Turns out I was the only person that thought that about my family.
      August 30, 2017 11:30 AM MDT

Condolences Zack. You sure got the short end of that stick. Not your fault. Luck of the draw. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday!  :) Maybe in the next lifetime if there is one you will get the long end! Only fair. :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 31, 2017 12:54 AM MDT
      August 30, 2017 11:38 AM MDT

Sadly my fleshly family has never been close. As much as I have tried my mother for the most part has always rejected me. I have made peace with this. I have learned to accept this. I know my mother has serious mental illness. What exactly happened to her is something I'll never know. This never helped matters to bring the family together. It is usually the mother that brings a family together. In ours it was the opposite. As old and frail as she is now, she continues sadly to be the cause of much strife. My faith has been a major reason why I have survived. 
      August 11, 2018 12:01 AM MDT

Hello Autumn! My mom did her best I know. And she loved us (my baby sis and me) as best as she knew how.  But it was our dad who was the main source of comfort to us. He was the one who made us feel we could do anything we wanted to do as long as were willing to work hard. He was very big on acceptance and love. I guess it is a rare family that has no "skeletons" or dark places. And of course we can never enter the mind of someone else so we can find out intentions/motivations/backstory. I'm gonna ask a question about that.  Would you have liked to have been able to enter your mom's mind? Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday. Nice to chat with you again m'dear! :) ((hugs))
      August 11, 2018 4:27 AM MDT

Hi Rosie, i think knowing a bit of background about her childhood would have helped me understand her. She refuses to ever speak about her past. She has either blocked a very bad experience, or finds it too painful to verbalize it. Nice chatting with you too! Have a great Saturday also. :) hugs right back at you:!!!
      August 11, 2018 12:51 PM MDT

Well I think that would very much depend on how much you identify and are nurtured by your family.  Everyone has their own agendas so of necessity some people will always get pushed to the side. I wanted nothing to do with my family and their values and expectations because I thought no way could I ever live up to them so I left.  My brothers were and are in general supportive of me but have not been when I made decisions they felt were embarrassing to them.  So we all pretty much have gone our own ways though both my brothers have always been close to each other. 
      August 11, 2018 6:07 AM MDT