Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Zack
Discussion » Questions » History » Didja know in the 21st century BC Ancient Sumerian rulers Shulgi and Shu-Sin constructed a massive fortified barrier to keep out Amorites?

Didja know in the 21st century BC Ancient Sumerian rulers Shulgi and Shu-Sin constructed a massive fortified barrier to keep out Amorites?

The Sumerian Amorite Wall was about 100 miles long and built between the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers.  Of course there is a three-fold purpose to walls.   KEEP ENEMIES OUT, DEFINE BORDERS, KEEP CITIZENS FROM LEAVING.

The Long Walls of Athens were built in 461 BC

The Great Wall of Gorgan (also known as the Red Snake) was built in the 5th century AD . It was 121 miles log from the Caspian Sea to the Elburz Mountains.

Hadrian's Wall was built in 122 AD. It was 73 miles long and went from Solway Firth to the Tyne River

The Great Wall of China was begun in the 3rd century B.C. and sections were added as late as the 14th and 17th centuries. It stretches thousands of miles.

Walls of Constantinople were built in the 5th century A.D.. It was about 14 miles long and include the Theodosian Walls

Berlin Wall was built in 1961 to separate  East and West Berlin

Of course there are many more walls worldwide. Built for many reasons. Fences too. To keep enemies out, define borders and keep people from leaving. Some things never change.

So now we look forward to Trumpwall. It  will go down in history too. If it is ever built. Odds?

Posted - September 4, 2017

Responses

Maybe one should be built around the Trump towers ;-))

We even have a wall here in Denmark. Queen Thyry built it somewhen in the 9'th century AD. It was built as a long rampart wit some fortification on top across the southern end of the peninsula of Jutland. to defend against German invaders

Archeologist have looked at it and found that it has been rebuilt many times since then, up until about 1200 AD. Funny thing they found is that about half the times it was rebuilt the fortifications were built to defend against attacks from the north, rather than against attacks from the south. Apparently the Germans have rebuilt that wall as many times as we Danes have
      September 4, 2017 4:37 AM MDT

That would definitely hafta be one he** of a tall wall wouldn't it JakobA? Is your wall an historic site that visitors go out of their way to see? I guess wall-building is a worldwide natural phenomenon and has been for thousands of years. If and when a TRUMPWALL comes into being no matter how small or tall I'm sure it will become a pilgrimage destination for the worshipping devoted/voters. SIGH. Was your Queen Thyry a good monarch? Doofus Donny sucks big time at it. Thank you for your very information reply! :)
      September 4, 2017 5:08 AM MDT

Well, according to the tourist brochures it is an attraction. I am not so sure, it is badly in need of some more repairs. all the wooden parts rotted away, and the rampart is no more then a few feet high by now.
      September 4, 2017 5:48 AM MDT

I wonder how much it would cost to "refurbish it" JacobA? I think in Egypt there is constant repair going on to the Pyramid and the Sphinx. Work done to slow down deterioration of thousands of years. I think it is sad to let historical things fall into disrepair and let them disappear. Is there much support for restoration in Denmark? Old houses or historical buildings or the environment like flatlands and sanctuaries and refuges? I think that honors our past. Some folks in America are very big on conservation. Others like new and shiny and don't mind destroying history to get it. SIGH. Thank you for your reply! :)
      September 4, 2017 5:53 AM MDT

Oops, I spelled her wrong, It is Thyra. She is famous enough to have a Wiki entry of her own:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyra
      September 4, 2017 5:54 AM MDT

They recently completed restoration of a local 'covered' bridge that was originally built in the 1850's. Nice job.
      September 4, 2017 7:03 AM MDT

No doubt because of their abhorrent behavior. 
      October 1, 2017 9:50 PM MDT