Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Do all Rednecks have red necks? Ever met one? Are you one? What are they like?

Do all Rednecks have red necks? Ever met one? Are you one? What are they like?

Posted - September 5, 2017

Responses

• Political term for poor farmers
    The term characterized farmers having a red neck caused by sunburn from hours working in the fields.

Coal miners
    The term "redneck" in the early 20th century was occasionally used in reference to American coal miner union members who wore red bandannas for solidarity.

Historical Scottish Covenanter usage
    In Scotland in the 1640s, the Covenanters rejected rule by bishops, often signing manifestos using their own blood. Some wore red cloth around their neck to signify their position, and were called rednecks by the Scottish ruling class to denote that they were the rebels in what came to be known as The Bishop's War that preceded the rise of Cromwell.

Roman Catholics
    In Northern England in the 19th and 20th centuries, Roman Catholics were also known as rednecks.

South Africa
    The exact Afrikaans equivalent, rooinek, is used as a disparaging term for English people and South Africans of English descent, in reference to their supposed naïveté as later arrivals in the region in failing to protect themselves from the sun.
      September 5, 2017 3:09 AM MDT

I consider myself a  redneck. 

Redneck: White,  southern, rural, blue collar, conservative,  religious. 

Alf pretty much summed up where the term came from. 
      September 5, 2017 4:19 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply m2c. How odd. Why? Because I always thought Rednecks only came in one gender...male. You would know of course not me. I shall have to adjust my thinking on this one. :)
      September 5, 2017 4:26 AM MDT

September 5, 2017 4:34 AM MDT

You forgot white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
      September 5, 2017 7:18 AM MDT

I don't drink alcohol...I do wear white socks....easier to clean and match. 
      September 5, 2017 8:46 AM MDT

No no no and Im not sure. I cant really tell, i live in the south.
      September 5, 2017 7:24 AM MDT

Ever met one?

Who hasn't?  Besides infants all nestled in beds that are not in trailer parks, or maybe no one in Monte Carlo.

But everyone else?  They are everywhere.  They fix your cars, they pump gas, they farm, they pretty much do things that don't require a college degree.  And when they get one, they still vote for Trump.

That is a redneck to me.  Frying greasy bacon in a double-wide.

September 5, 2017 8:58 AM MDT

That looks good...and definitely the closest I would come to sushi...lol
      September 5, 2017 1:44 PM MDT