Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » If Netflix removes a TV show that I started watching am I justified in finding torrents to finish watching it?

If Netflix removes a TV show that I started watching am I justified in finding torrents to finish watching it?

I think so since I am not paying $10.66 a month to watch part of a TV show.

Posted - September 6, 2017

Responses

You can "justify" anything you want. That doesn't make it legal or ethical though.

You pay Netflix for the right to access their library, which they make a point of noting is updated all the time. Netflix licenses the right to show programs from the owners of the content. The right to view is then passed onto you for the duration of Netflix's agreement with the owner of the content. Once the contract ends, the owner of the content stops being compensated for their work. 

If you walked into a theater late, would you expect the production company to send you a copy of the film, so you could catch the start?

If you went to an all-you-can-eat restaurant, would you expect to be allowed to take home an extra meal in a doggy bag because you didn't feel you ate your share in one sitting?

I should hope not in either circumstance, but we all have different standards for conduct. As a writer, it really bothers me when people openly talk about shafting the creators of any kind of content or art- it's theft. That's why it's illegal. It's not the creator's fault you can't access the content on Netflix anymore, but by watching it on a free venue, you're depriving them of pay they've rightly worked for. It's akin to walking into a restaurant or grocery store and expecting free food. 
      September 7, 2017 3:27 AM MDT